Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts?

Howdy,

Say, how is the situation for parts for early model Sportsters at swap meets? Say 1957 to early 1970s models? How about original sheet metal like the bigger XL tanks, original fenders and stuff like that? Are prices and availability better than on same year Big Twin models?

You can see that I don't know much about the parts situation for early Sportsters, but I'm getting interested in them. Seems like at swap meets I have attended in the past there was lots of Harley stuff that I assumed were Sportster parts but never paid much attention because I didn't have one.

Isn't there some kind of Sportster anniversary this year?

Thanks!

Sportster parts tend to be even more difficult than big twin for certain items. Sheet metal is tough, especially '57-'58 tanks and any year fenders front or rear. Remember, they were the street racers of the day and most were modified, fenders bobbed, mufflers tossed, covers and oil tanks chromed or changed. The best thing is to try to find an older restoration or an original just like any other Harley. And K-Model stuff is even HARDER! Or build a period street racer and use what you can get. There is quite a bit of engine and transmission stuff out there and a fair number of frames, forks and wheels. Lots of years interchange major components too. The good news is there are still nice ones out there for not a lot of money. Actually cheaper than a comparable Triumph Bonneville. Good luck, Robbie

Comment

Originally posted by Rub
      Sportster parts tend to be even more difficult than big twin for certain items. Sheet metal is tough, especially '57-'58 tanks and any year fenders front or rear. Remember, they were the street racers of the day and most were modified, fenders bobbed, mufflers tossed, covers and oil tanks chromed or changed. The best thing is to try to find an older restoration or an original just like any other Harley. And K-Model stuff is even HARDER! Or build a period street racer and use what you can get. There is quite a bit of engine and transmission stuff out there and a fair number of frames, forks and wheels. Lots of years interchange major components too. The good news is there are still nice ones out there for not a lot of money. Actually cheaper than a comparable Triumph Bonneville. Good luck, Robbie
      Thanks Robbie, That's good information! I figured there was considerable Sportster motor stuff around but wasn't sure about sheet metal or other components. Makes sense that a lot of it was tossed. Interesting too that running older Sporsters can go for less than certain model Triumphs.

Comment

there is a lot of ironhead stuff out there.I dont have much trouble locating parts for my 68. even magneto parts ! the guys at ironhead sporster garage will help if nobody here knows where to get them and yea the sportster is 50 now. the kansas city ride should be a good one this year to the (new) sportster plant (a motor,2 wheels and something to hang on to)

Comment

Most large swap meets will yield a turtle tank or two. Fenders for pre 70 models are a little tougher to find. Somebody has been marketing an XLCH / late 60s XLH rear fender for quite awhile. It
          looks okay, and takes the -55 or -68 tail lamp.
          VPH-D
          PS What news of your Panhead book?

Comment

Working...
          X