boring&honing update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boring&honing update

I made tourque plates out of 1 1/8 ground steel plate torqued the cylinders to spec.
    I bored and honed the cylinders the next size to .050 o/s. I honed to .0015 clearence and round with in .0002.
    When I removed the tourque plates and checked the bore it distorted to the point that the pistons did not fit. The bottom of skirt was now out of round .001 to .002 from the bottom to about 1 inch up. I honed the bottom another .0015 in it's free state with out tourque plate so I could get the cylinders on.
    I think the next time I will only use the the tourque plates after boring and honing to make sure they don't close up to much.

I have only encountered such a distortion at overbores of more than .090" over.

I must ask: How many ft/lbs did you apply?
    How did you apply it?

...Cotten

Comment

And I must ask....did you try fitting your pistons with the cylinders assembled to the cases ? Paps

Comment

I used a torque wreach extension and a torque wrench extension calculator I found at www.norbar.com and my desired torque was 35 ft/lbs on base and 60 on heads.
        My torque setting on wrench was 25 for base and 42 on heads.

Comment

Working...
        X