Metal footboard pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal footboard pads

Does anyone know if the WW II era metal footboard pads are attached by the standard civilian rivets? Or, did the factory use a different rivet?
    Thanks...
    VPH-D

Anyone ??
    VPH-D

Comment

My military parts books show the rivet as the usual -14 part number (strange that it's a -14 number as I thought the 1915 models didn't use rivets on the footboards?) ... Perry

Comment

Maybe the rivets were used eslewhere instead ? Hense the part number ? Paps

Comment

When I did my 46' metal foot boards I used the usual split rivits. They were a little long' but looked good on top!

Comment

Thanks guys
            VPH-D

Comment

I will check with someone soon, on that. I had some a few years ago, that I converted to rubber. I can't remember, exactly, but I don't think they were the split end type, because I know I ground the heads off to do it, and I wouldn't have needed to do that if they were split. I think the bottom was flared, or even solid, and hammered. Man, it is bad when the memory goes. when the memory goes. when the memory goes. when the ......... Well, you know what I mean.

Comment

I was told memory was the second thing to go. I don't remember what the first thing was ... Perry

Comment

Well, I did remember to call Jim in Mendon today. They looked at a set they have, and I was right, they use a solid hammered rivet on the metal pads. Now, to say this is what the miltary used is only about 95% sure on my part. Maybe different years used different rivets?

Comment

Looking at as many photos of the WPB machines as I can find, indicates a round head rivet appears to have been used. I kind of thought the civilian rivet would be too long, and have to be blackened. Thanks a lot for the help. the machine is a 45 FL.
                    VPH-D

Comment

As another data point a set what looks like original metal pad footboards showed up on eBay. Hard to tell from the photos, but they might use split rivets. Email the seller and ask ... Perry

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D
                        Looking at as many photos of the WPB machines as I can find, indicates a round head rivet appears to have been used. I kind of thought the civilian rivet would be too long, and have to be blackened. Thanks a lot for the help. the machine is a 45 FL.
                        VPH-D

Comment

Sounds like you guys are refering to a semi-tubular rivet. The tool for setting them is cheap, less than $10. I can supply the tool and the rivets in either steel, nickle plate, or parkerized---PAQ

Comment

I have various examples of what are most likely original foot boards with steel treads all of them have the split rivets. I had a set of boxed NOS boards which I foolishly used on a bike, I changed the steel pads to the rubber pads reusing the original split rivets.
                            They fitted the steel pads because of war shortages, you would have thought Harley would have used a different technique to fit them, They could have spot welded them on or used adhesive.

Pete.

Comment

Working...
                            X