Knuckel Kicker Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuckel Kicker Cover

I have an original Kicker cover that is correct for my '47. All casting numbers are clearly visable and no cracks around the inside kicker bushing either !! However, someone has already installed an oversized filler plug and even those threads are stripped out.

I am contemplating welding around the thread area and machining/drilling and tapping to stock. However, the thread is a non-standard - 7/8-18.

Does anyone know where I may obtain such a tap ??? I have tried MSC and Sag Supply already.

Thanks....

7/8-18 tap

Hi Bill
    If you have a local industrial supply house they can order it if they don't have it. Check the yellow pages. You can order just one or two items and generally don't have to be a business to buy from them.
    You can also try McMaster-Carr Co. at mcmaster.com they are a little more expensive but have just about every thing. You can order online. Hope this helps...Rod

Comment

Bill,
      I have the helicoil kit if that helps. It might take it as I have repaired numerous covers with this kit. I have also used the starting thread on the tap to retap welded and machined covers. It works great.
      Carl

Comment

Carl..... you the man.

Alum threads are ahhhhh.. not real good. Steel heli-coils are a great improvement on just about any antique bike. Painful to buy an odd-ball kit when you just need one coil.

Comment

If the hole is too big you'll have to weld it up. I bought my tap from J+L Machine supply out of Chicago. I believe it is the only tool in my box made in Macedonia. It seems to be good quality and has held up well. When you weld up the hole try to add only as much metal as neccessary, when it cools the cover to case gasket surface will pull a bit. I just clamp the cover to a sine plate and do the boring, threading and recutting of the plug to cover surface on the milling machine.

Comment

If you're not married to the idea of having the same thread pitch as original you could go to 7/8"-14 N.F. and make your own filler plug on a lathe. From the outside, the plug would look correct and you wouldn't have to spend a lot of money on a tap or Helicoil set that you will probably never use again.

Comment

Enco has these taps. They are also same a the large spark plugs, no?
              http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=891-4951

Steve

Comment

Thank you all for the information.

I decided to weld the hole up solid and re-shoot it. I located the special tap from Sag Supply on Long Island and it worked out great. Thanks again for the input!!

Bill Pedalino

Comment

Working...
                X