Harley manufactured information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley manufactured information

I own a 1966 FLH and i want to build a "show bike sign" and would like to know how to "read" the engine numbers on my bike to fiqure out what bike it was off the production line 1rst or 251rst, i want to list this next to the production fiqures H-D put out on the sign for my bike.

I believe Palmer's book indicates that after 1960, if the bike was built in an even numbered year like 1966, then the first bike produced would be 2001. If your seial number is 67FLH2001 then you may have the first one produced, if you have 67FLH2251 then you have the 251st bike produced. Take into account that there may have been some FL's mixed in with the FLH's so you really wouldn't know if yours was the 251st FLH but you would know that it was the 251st Big Twin in 66. Palmer does a much better job of explaining this this than I can. If you don't have a copy of his book then you should get one. If you already have one then this info is all clearly spelled out in the first few pages.

Comment

Your engine number should read 66FLH1251 indicating a 1966 FLH model and the engine was the 251st one built that year. Hope that helps.

Comment

Here's how I understand the Harley serial numbering thing from original Factory spec sheets.

Before around 1955 or 56 (I'd have to look up the exact year), serial numbers began at number "1000." (That is, you could have a bike numbered, for example, 36EL1000).

After that time serial numbers began at number "1001." (Now the lowest number would be, for example, 60FL1001).

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X