Speedometer Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer Problem

I an having a problem routing the speedo cable housing on my 1949 pan..When I installed the first time , the gas tank edge crushed and kinked the housing and I ASSUME CAUSED SPEEDO TO NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY.The speedo has been restored professionally so the problem must the the housing ..I do not see ANY PICS or read any info on this problem. How do I ROUTE or find the pefect angle to go behing edge of tank...looks like I will have to find and replacespeedo cable housing ? 49er

If the cable was routed through the hole in the frame I can't visualize how it got pinched. Get a new cable.

Comment

speedo housing question

Yes, but does it not enter the hole in frame by first coming up along left frame rail and going between frame at top of frame leg below the neck area and thel front of left tank?..49er

Comment

It's easy to pinch the cable. It usually happens only once though. Good original cables are hard to find and expensive. There is a sweet spot that the cable must be in for it to be clear. Place the cable where you think it should be and then mount the left tank but as you are tightening the bolts, keep wiggling the cable to make sure it is not pinched. It's trial and error but if you are careful you won't crush the cable. Just don't tighten the bolts all the way until you are sure the cable is positioned properly. You may want to check your tank mounting tabs. It may be that they are bent and are allowing the tank to be drawn in too close to the frame. Good Luck and be careful!!

Comment

SPEEDO CABLE

THANKS, I was hoping there was some real special techinique , but it's a long winter and assuming I CAN FIND ANOTHER CORRECT CABLE , I WILL HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO HIT AND NISS INSTALLATION..thanks, 49er

Comment

You can probably un-kink your cable housing with pliers.
            The repair will be between the tanks...nobody will see it.

Comment

Working...
            X