What about a 45WL..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about a 45WL..?

Hi guys- I spend most of my time over on the panhead side but I got a question for you guys over here. I've been offered a chance to buy a 1945WL flathead from a guy that runs a small bike repair and sporting goods shop here locally. He's a pretty straight up guy that I've known for six years.

The bike has original paint (not very nice) and all the original accesorys. He tells me he hasn't had it running for about 10yrs and the carb needed work when he put it away. But assures me it will run. He wants 11k for it. Sounds kind of steep to me but I don't know squat about the value of this year bike. Is that price out of line..? If so what would you think it's worth..? I'm looking for a winter project but don't want to do the deer in the headlights thing.-Steve

Steve -

Sounds steep to me, too. But, then I'm cheap, when it comes to what I think a fair price should be. However, original paint bikes are running a bit steep on price these days.

As to carb work, if you do obtain the bike, send the carb to Tom Cotten. It will get the attention that a Linkert needs. Usually, someone has stuck one of the boat-anchor floats in the bowl, and can't get it set properly. Cotten's floats are the best, and the last it will ever need.

Jack

Comment

Thanks, I think 11k is a little high also. The owner and I are still in the casually talking about it stage. He's retiring this summer and is selling off some of his collection to supplement his S.S. I'm going to head over that way tommorow and see if I can take a couple photo's of the bike. I'm planning on offering him 8k and see where that gets me. I hope it don't get me a fat lip. LOL. Anyway I'll post a photo here and see what everyone thinks about it. Whens deer season end? Cause I'm starting to get that feeling again. Damn this addiction. -Steve

Comment

That seems a little high to me also.
        You might try the NADA values as a starting point, but remember this is only a "guide" and only you know what condition its in.
        http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/Val...=1008&Letter=H

Comment

Hey thanks for the link Johnny.

Comment

Just make your best deal and get it. WLs are very enjoyable to ride, parts are available and original paint machines are few and far between. You won't regret it.

Comment

Food for Thought

Jack H. is way right. At that price it should be a 20/20 bike. Pretty at 20 mph or 20 ft. But..here's the food. I started with a NOS 45 mtr.(Cheap at 1800?),tranny and complete rear wheel asy. are original. Every thing else is repop. When you figure frames,front ends wheel etc and everything costs a grand each. Gosh real easy to hit that 11000 mark and thats with repop. not original. Lets not forget the costs of travel to swap meets and such either. I'm starting to feel like a deer because that 11000 for all the real parts really makes me think. Chris

Comment

Well I went to pick up the parts for my 56pan today and took a closer look at the 1945 45WL. It's not original paint as I first thought from first glance. After spending a few hours last night reading my "Palmers" I know they only came in grey. But this bike does have many original parts. The only ones I could spot that weren't where the speedo which is definetly harley but I have no idea what year. Also the rubber on the clutch-engage pedal. Help me out and take a look at the photo's and tell me what you think. Don't worry I can take it. Tell me the truth. I made the owner an offer of 9.5 and he agreed but I can still back out though I don't think I will. By the way I bought the saddle bags off this bike last summer for my 56 so already have them.

The photos aren't that good but if you look close you can see that the case reads 45WL1920 so that would make it a civilian bike. I do know some about what case numbers should look like and these look good yo me. What do you guys think?

-Steve
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry I don't know how to post multiple photos yey so here one of the left side.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Can't make out the VIN. The bike looks good. The tanks on the civilian model would have had the 41-46 trim. Alot of people thought all that shiney stuff was gaudy and ground the mount strips off when painting. I had a 45WL in the late 70s. It was a great bike. The only time it let me down, the front axle broke (somebody had replaced the axle with allthread rod at one time) while I was on a beer run. The front wheel leaned into the fender hard enough to start the paint on fire and get my face out over the bars, but I didn't go down. Beer all over the road, but I found one can that hadn't busted open to drink while I waited for my knees to stop wobblin'. I sold the WL and a perfect 65 FLH for some operating capitol when I opened a motorcycle shop. Good luck with your new machine.

Comment

Well its a done deal and as soon as the snow and slush get off the roads I'll be bringing it home. Trailered of course.

Thanks for the replys guys.-Steve

Comment

Congratulations Steve.....
                        Ya' done good.

Comment

Hi,

I think it canīt be wrong to buy an original WL.
                          I bought a 42 wla which had been converted into a 48 WL.
                          Excellent restoration, however the VIN still shows WLA...
                          I paid 8.5 k and considering the quality of the restoration it was a fair price.
                          Original WL in original color ? that great! Please do not restore and repaint it if possible....

Good luck and have of fun with the bike.

Oliver

Comment

Hi Mollo!
                            I wish it had original paint but it doesn't. Both fenders and the tanks have been re-painted at some time or another. Most everything else appears to have survived unmolested though.

I've been thinking of starting a new thread here soon with some photo's to get everyones opinions on weather to restore it or leave it as is. That "rusty engine" look is begining to make me think I should do something about it. I'll wait till I get it running before deciding anything about that though. -Steve

Comment

Hey guys! Just learned to post a photo correctly. Heres my new 45/45.-Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X