War Time Handlebars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Time Handlebars

Would Hollywood style bars be considered correct for a civilian bike? Or were the Hollywood style a factory accessory only?
    I've never had a bike judged, so I don't know if factory accessories are considered acceptable by the AMCA on a restoration.
    Thanks,
    VPH-D

Anyone??
    VPH-D

Comment

What year? What Marque?

I always thought that Hollywood bars. Bars with a 'curved brace' over the middle were an after market accessory.

Personally- I think they look cool, make for a great space to stuff a jacket into and may save your bars from folding over completely in the event of a major dump. I'm not real keen on the bolt on addition accessory. I like to see them welded and very solid.

Comment

I think Hollywoods look great, too. The bike is a 45 FL, and I would like to use Hollywood bars if they are acceptable on a bike to be judged.
        VPH-D

Comment

I don't believe that there is any HD literature (parts books, or assy catalogs) that showed the "Hollywood" handlebars as a genuine accessory. Therefore it must have been a period modification, that some company, or dealers were offering.

The bolt on crossbar, was however, shown as a genuine HD accessory in several HD brochures.

I would be interesting to hear from an AMCA judge on the "correctness" of a set on a bike being judged.

Comment

The bolt-on cross bar was a factory part listed the parts books. I never cared for the look of it, though. I'm hoping someone will chime in with judging info so I can make a decision about which bars to use.
            VPH-D

Comment

Tom Vandergriff, a long time dealer in Albert Lea, MN told me that he and his brother Howard made up 100 or more of these type bars when they were all the rage. He said the boys were always racing around on the weekend runs and the brace really helped to save the bars from serious damage in minor spills.

Comment

I always felt that the crossbars used on Harley Hollywoods, looked strangely like Indian Acessory part number 889005....brazed onto a springer bar.

That would explain their uniformity. I just can't see Harley guys using an Indian part though.

Comment

The Hollywood bars are listed in the parts book under the listing for speedsters and buckhorns. However, this is not always an accurate way to tell if the part was available on a new bike.
                  VPH-D

Comment

I have a "42 FL that was a three owner bike from new and was ordered with a deluxe package as new. It had chrome hollywood bars on it as well as all the other chrome items. The only hollywood bars I have seen were all H-D builtboth in Speedster and buckhorn styles. No one made one piece bars as aftermarket in any literature I have seen or own. Hellings and Flanders bars all used their own risers and special bends. It would not have made sense for a company in those days to make such a limited item. There were aftermarket bolt-on crossbars from several sources, such as Comisky and Atlas. The bars with crossbar do not appear in the accessory catalogs but do in the parts books with a -40 part #. They appear at least through '49 with the early listings having the note "when available" added. More later. Robbie

Comment

That's great. Thanks for the knowledge guys. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X