Part#s ending in W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part#s ending in W

I seems to me that OEM part #s that end in W are mostly cad plated. Is this true? If so I would have another conflict with B.Palmer’s book, in the book it says all motor mount bolts and nuts are park. but my parts book shows the part #s ending in a W for my 58 Duo-glide, this is getting very frustrating, Also I was told that all engine bolts and nuts were brush painted engine silver for warranty purposes, has anyone ever heard of this?
    Thanks
    Craig

I personally have'nt heard of that, but I can say this....... Just about every HD service and parts manual I have posessed, have flaws in them. Off the top of my head, most parts manuals have the 45" cams wrong, especially the front intake. Most service manuals have the transmission specs reversed for end play. For a novice builder, which I once was, this can really toss a can of worms into a build for a newbie. Paps

Comment

Hi Guys:
      I dont think the Motor Company was obligated to stay with original finish on especially hardware. If they changed from parkerizing in 54 to cad in 64. They just cad plated all replacement parts with current parts with same finish. That being cad in this case. After all, they werent really fussy on retso finish like we are today, hell the polce departments and the average rider of the day didnt care if the new replacement bolt came in cad. The parkerized stripped bolt went to the trash can and we were back on the road. Its obviouse theres a big saving on inventory as its common for current parts to supercede the old. Just the way I personally see it, how about anyone else out there, make sence??? ...........Joe

Comment

i agree with that and also something to think about is that because they didn't consider restoration purposes back then, i don't think they rotated stock like we do now. for example if they had a bin full of park. bolts and then changed it to cad they would just leave what they had in the bin and just put the new ones in the same bin. if that makes sense to anyone.

Comment

Working...
        X