carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb?

Also I forgot to mention it does not idle right of coarse but seems to be OK at running speed. Thanks for any info. Its a 46 with linkert carb.

If your valves are seating well, rings are good, and it runs well at higher rpm's, the float setting must be good enough. I'm leaning towards an intake leak. Paps

Comment

Len!

Paps is probably right, as betting on a vacuum leak is almost always a sure thing.

Please pressuretest your manifold assembly with soapy water. A discussion of this can be found at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Float setting is very forgiving, and can be done with a ruler.... If your float floats.
      (This rules out brass and anything that digests in modern fuels.)

Good luck,

...Cotten

Comment

Ah! Paps has me worried now. Just before this stuff happened I lost the brass screw that held the throttle butterfly inside the carb. The shaft split apart. I wasworried about it right away but one of the mechanics I told said it probably blew right through. I put the new shaft in and cleaned up the carb but it still runs rough at idle, Start first kick and dose'nt smoke but now what? Is a compression test in order? Seems to run better when the choke is on a couple of notches. Tried to tighten the manifold nuts but dont have the right wrench. Might try to get one made at work. Do you know the right size I need? Also what do you think the best way is to install the two brass screws? Loctite or peening the back side of the screws? Thanks for any help.

Comment

If it were mine I'd go looking for that screw. Pull the intake first. Considering the way flatheads are designed it might still be in the intake tract. If you don't find it pull the heads. Check the pistons carefully for damage (not likely with a screw that small) and check for a bent valve. It's possible that a foreign object getting caught in the valve seat can bend one. If everything checks out put it all back together and take precautions against intake leaks like the other guys say. I prefer to peen the screws on the carb butterflys.

Comment

Working...
          X