Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Restoration Website

Chaps,

First off, hello to Rocky, Toney, Red, Chris or any of the fine fellas met down through the years who may be on this board, I've just made the transition from lurking to posting . And with that, will plead ignorance with TheAdminGuy that this post indeed belongs in Suggestions but would probably never get read what with that category languishing since Summer. But since I have of couple Chiefs, this forum's as suitable as any.

With Ebay and much publicized auctions commanding daunting prices for old American iron these days. Not only are the next generation of younger members basically priced out of potential ownership of anything but the most crusty incomplete examples, but even the more well heeled middlle age guys - the mainstay for funding this hobby - are a bit overwhelmed with determining exactly where/what level of skill required/currently possessed to get one up off the ground and running. Glossy magazine renditions of methodical restorations turned out by pro's or, at the opposite end of the scale, heart wrenching stories of machines pieced together at great sacrifice over decades make good stories but provide little indication of what it takes or motivation to undertake the risk of going after it.

We need a forum titled Your Restoration Online for members to post links to their restorations - no, not encouraging this board to provide member web pages like this app vBulletin can enable, that's a hastle - that they have hosted online elsewhere. This not only bridges the quarterly issuance of our magazine with some reading/gandering entertainment, but will be invaluable to cementing the desire to acquire in old machine that a newcomer/nonmember might have.

As I exclusively ride old crocks in an urban setting, I can't tell you the number of people who are genuinely interested in ownership but currently put off by high prices when they don't have a road map on the other side of the purchase to get that machine on the road.
    Our magazine is not the place to cover this exhaustive subject but this form with incredibly (frightening) search engine visibility? Now that's the ticket.

Here's an example of one of mine to get started.

1946 Indian Chief - An Old Painting Retouched.
    Attached Files

motorcycle reference photos

Just the topic i wanted to address.
    on my web page, www.ziggysmotorworks.com
    i have a section called bike reference photos.the direct link is -http://www.ziggysmotorworks.com/bikereferencephotos/bikereferencephotos.html
    i have posted multiple photos of different indians in accurate restored condition and or original paint. just for restoration reference. this is a free service to the antique world
    I am looking for many more unmolested original paint bikes for reference and or AMCA judged senior points bikes.
    I have many more examples to add to the list but i do need more and am asking for amca input.
    Feel free to contact me directly at ziggy@ziggysmotorworks.com or call 360 871-8120 8-6 pst
    i would like to add 20 or so more different indians this year and will need 20-40 good detailed photos of each one.
    please make contact first with your sumissions or possible bikes to add PLEASE DO NOT just e mail photos(i am on dial up )
    thank you and enjoy

Comment

Great website Peter! ... Perry

Comment

Howdy Chaps,

Ziggy, miss your chicken at swapmeets, always reminded me of Key West and Tortola. Perry, thanks. Not to hi-jack the Chief forum, but the price of admission to our hobby has gone up disproportionately relative to other two-four wheeled pastimes of late effecting the foundation of our club's most active demographics - the working person buying and restoring their own machines.

It's not unreasonable for those new to the game standing over a moldy pile at a swapmeet or peering into a screen at grainy images of same on the Internet these days to ask themselves more than ever if this is doable before they whiff the smelling salts and begin reeling off $100 bills to make their purchase.

Besides providing a little entertainment and variety for us old salts familiar with every facet of this hobby, the primary mission with these sites will be to demonstrate to potential new members and/or old m/c enthusiasts that the average-skill well organized enthusiast with miniminal tools in a single car garage can turn out a pleasant and reliable piece - from dusty to shiney - without alot of drama, just hard work.

I'll inevitabley get most of mine on there but here're a few more already, the latter two sites on the Velo and Steib to be re-oriented to the 46 Chief and Vin format rather than geared to disposing off (get'n weak kneed about getting rid of them now). Next up in the vein of the Vin and 46 Chief will be my hotrod black/yellow 48 Chief, MrBumble, the ground-up restored shiny flipside of the 46 and a totally different restoration approach.

1950 Vincent Red Touring Rapide - A Red Rapide Experience -
        1970 Velocette Venom Thruxton - Unfinished Busiiness -
        1954 Steib LS200

Comment

Working...
        X