L18txxxx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L18txxxx

Can some one explain what an L18TXXXX serial number means. Obviously 1918, but is the L Sidecar and the T Military? Thanks.

Picture....
    Attached Files

Comment

L18T means 1918 that's a generator model (as opposed to a magneto model). T means Twin and the L presumably means Lights (or 'Lectric) ... Perry

Comment

It's got a mag on it (see pic). The "L" and "T" are not listed in the "Legend Begins" as a model number or anything. Supposed to be army model, did they have they own model code?
        Attached Files

Comment

Let's try again on the pic.......
          Attached Files

Comment

It would sure be nice if a J expert piped up 'cause I ain't one - indeed the bike now has a magneto but that sure looks like a battery box behind the seat post. That and the toolbox on top of the tank I think are indicators of an electric model. I think the magneto models had a toolbox where the battery box is ... Perry

Comment

I agree with Perry. It is an electric model that has a magneto in place of the Remy generator. H-D began making their own generators in 1920 but they looked very similar to the Remy unit that was used in 1918. Just prior to that generator, H-D used the the Remy unit that many people have mis-named a mag-dyno. This unit was used in 15 and 16. Regardless, this bike originally came with a Remy generator and that is a battery box under the seat. I'm sure it wasn't uncommon to see a magneto put in place of the Remy unit as these bikes got long in the tooth. To put a magneto on an "L" motor you have to replace the timing gear housing with a magneto timing gear housing. Distributor caps and coils must have been scarce even back in the 40's and 50's because you see so many generators missing those items and if one of these bikes got pressed into service on the homefront during WW2 due to gas rationing, then a dealer or motorcycle shop would have done just this to get it back on the road. It's fun to speculate. That's a beautiful motorcycle, I envy the owner.

Comment

LOUIE,

YOUR ANSWER IS AT THIS SITE, IT IS PROTECTED SO I COULD NOT SEND IT TO YOU
                www.techsweb.us/hdvin1019.html

WISH I COULD FIND THIS INFO ON MY '28 JC.

Comment

Louie, I see that '18 J is in Rome, Georgia. Are you going to bid on it ?

Comment

I looked at the bike a couple times. Motors locked up, I think it's a bit high priced. But still a real nice original bike, if I hit the lottery, I be the first one there! The numbers make it a magneto model three speed, so that looks right. I don't know where they came up with it being a military bike though.

Comment

I think they used the prefix L18T for the 1918 Model "J" i.e 18J. My 1920 "J" has the prefix L20T as all others I have seen. And its electric with battery and generator.
                      I found a case in Sweden with only 20T. It may be off a magneto Model "F".
                      Fiskis

Comment

L18Txxxx ID

Perry and exeric are ABSOLUTLY correct.
                        This IS an 18 electric model that has had a magneto put on it at some point. The early Remy that exeric was talking about was used on 1915 models as the Remy model 15 and on 1916 thjru VERY EARLY 1918 models as the Remy model 250 (with sub types A thru D)
                        Mark Masa
                        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

don't know if this will help but my 1918 magneto model with tool box under the seat has an engine number 18T----- and was in service in the first world war , as ''USA'' is stamped in various places and somewhere I read that American bikes giving war service , were stamped thus , Ken
                          PS it's a great bike to ride too

Comment

Yes these Pocketvalves are really nice riders. They are so modern compared to contemporary European bikes, that you forgot that they obviously did not need much brakes those days!
                            I know some guys complain about the tires coming off the rims. I have a set of Bedford brand clincher tires bought in England in the 80:ies. They work perfectly and you can perform any cornering or acceleration you want. I do not know if those are available anymore.
                            Fiskis

Comment

Hello Fiskis , I do not think Bedford tyres are available anymore , I run Dunlops at 40 and 45 lbs , never had any problems , and I do not hang about , Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X