clutch damage ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch damage ?

I just went on a short ride with my 45 flathead and as a sudden could no longer disengage the clutch.
    The clutch cable is still fine but I realized that I can operate the clutch lever (on the left transmission side) without any (spring) resistance.

Can anybody give me a failure analysis based on the above description?
    What would be the effort and steps to fix it ?

Sincerely appreciated feedback.

Regards

Oliver

Oliver:
    If I read your post correctly, it sure seems like your clutch adjustment rod is loose. On your primary chain cover, remove the inspection cover that is right over the clutch.
    In side you will see a hex nut with a screw driver slot in the middle of it. Back the nut out a turn or so and turn the screw in until you feel resistance. Back the screw out until you have about 1/8" play between trans clutch arm and end of the cable. Hold the screw driver and tighten the nut.

This is basic clutch adj. if it does'nt work, you may have problems inside.
    Rod

Comment

I have had a similar problem with a bad throw out bearing. If the clutch lever moves with no resistance it could be bearing related.
      doug

Comment

sounds right

I'd have to agree with the throw out bearing. They get worn from all that time the clutch is disengaging and engaging. Denise

Comment

Thanks for the resonses!

I tried to perform the basic clutch adjustment as described and when operating the foot clutch afterwards there was just this bang, telling me that something came loose.
          I took away the primary chain cover and disassembled the clutch.
          The failure was quite clear:
          The clutch hub nut came lose since the lock washer was obviousely not locked proberly.

Ordering a new washer, the special tool and putting it back together should get me back on the road....

No big deal, now I know how my clutch goes together....

Thanks again for your quick responses.

Oliver

Comment

Working...
          X