Clutch hubs again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch hubs again

Lets go back to Len's clutch problem in July. After reading it I checked and had the same problem. Not having a new clutch gear around I ordered a new hub from 45 restoration. No fix so I sprung for a new gear! Now I have a new hub and gear that are still a slip fit not requireing a puller. Then I read on pg. 137 of this little green copy of a military service manual that 40 and earlier models (WLA) were a tapered fit which leaves me asking if later models weren't. Whats up? Did I get some of those bad repop parts from 45 or is there some point where it's a tight but still slip fit? My trnny apears to be a 41 casting number on filler is 121-41,case cover 33-41. Help.

The hub is more than likely from V-Twin. Over-all it's a very nice piece with one big problem.......whoever did the broaching for the clutch gear splines did it backwards. Instead of making it an interference fit, they made it too loose. This will eventually cause problems and will hammer itself and the clutch gear to death no matter how tight you get it. I've contacted V-Twin via phone and fax last year, but so far, nothing has changed......they're still garbage.

Kurt

Comment

Working...
    X