1950's Signal Wiring Layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950's Signal Wiring Layout

Hi Everyone: This mite be a toughie, however, I would like to see a wiring schematic for the fifties signal wiring color codes. My FL is a 1954. There likely was a bulletin on how the wiring was fed around (routed) as well as color codes on those FL's of the time. Especially routing to the rear fender signal bullet lites. Nothing in the old manuals on it in the wireing schematics as the signal feature would have been an accessory. Hoping someone has an instruction sheet to copy from the original signal lamp kit from the fifties...or possibly a "Shop Dope" sheet on it. Thank you in advance...

Hey you guys with 100 point panheads!!! Some where on this altho round world, there must be a close to original Hawg with signal lamp original set up of the fifties out there. This question on wireing for signal lamps was posted in mid Sept and not a peep from anyone. So no schematic huh? Okay, I will get specific as follows:-

1- Wire colors for left rear, left front, r/rear, right front. Black???

2- Where was the flasher mounted in fork head cover? , How?

3- Was the wireing on the outside of the rear fender? Inside? Well. if so, wont fit in the loom retainer, musta been cliped in some how. After all, it was an accessory option.

Please, not asking anyone to take your Hawg apart for me, just do a walk around, check your memory a bit and let me know what you have, cuz even a start is a help. It appears there is no schematic available except from an original kit possibly.
    PLEASE, any help would very much be apreciated....(my 07 dues are paid as always)....Joe

Comment

Hi Joe
      I guess the only way to get some action is to submit a wrong or stupid answer.

I restored my Pan nearly 20 years ago, and do not remember everything that good anymore. And of course the rig is stowed away for the winter.

It is possible that I got a wiring set for the direction signals from V-Twin at the time. Definitely I got one for the bike and for the sidecar.

As you say, the directional signals were an accessory, and it was up to the dealer to decide how to install it. I'm not 100% sure that they were meant for that at first. I think the Guide DH-49 bullet lamps are described as parking lights at first, and sometimes attached to the saddle T-bar. They are not mentioned in my 1950 parts book. In the 1956 Parts Book they are listed as directionals for 1949-up.

Anyway the whole set was put together from pieces. The handlebar switch probably had pieces of wiring or maybe it was usable as it was but I am certain that the switch had one green and one red cable in addition to the third, not noted one. There is a note on the enlarged wiring sheet copy used at the time: "red left" and "green right". That was adopted from boating, as good a guess as anything. Further notes are "terminal 23 left" and "terminal 29 right".

The terminal is inside the front end panels and obviously those were unoccupied. The automotive flasher unit was installed inside the panel too with some protection against water and vibration. The wires for the front directionals probably are covered by the brackets for the spotlamps.
      The triangular dashlike bracket for the idiot light goes on the handlebar risers. We routed the wiring with its conduit covering along the frame, under the dash base, along the left upper rear frame secured with clips, along the rear brace bracket, secured with flat clips, to the lampbracket assy attached to the licence plate bracket, where it separates to the two directional lamps.

We decided to route the wiring this way, as there was no way to get them into the "tunnel" inside the rear fender. To fasten them with clips inside the fender would scratch the paint and they would suffer unneccessary from water and dirt. With the saddlebags installed you don't see much of the wiring.

There is a joint at the rear so you can disconnect the wires and flip up the rear fender tip. At that time before Bruce's book and all these chat sites, the only clue to how things should be was the drawings in the parts book. So the Pan is not a 100 point bike, but 100% functioning.
      Fiskis

Comment

Hey Fiskis: Your reply is a helluva good start., all the way from Norway? I appreciate that. I have everything to install the directional system. So all I need is a direction for myself and your help will contribute considerably. If anyone can touch on it, great as there are wires missing, no color codes. I will print your reply and add it to my chasis wireing sheet, ready to refer to...thanks again any other input will be usefull & appreciated very much.......Joe

Comment

I finally decided to start changing the rear tire and removed the saddlebags. Then I remembered your question and took some pics of the wire routings. I try to post them here. If it does not succeed, we will find some way. The front wires do not run as I had remembered. And it is only 20 years...

No, pics too big. I remember somebody here offered to modify the pics. My flathead computer has no program for that.. or I have not found out how.
          We'll see

P.S. Norway is only a click away from Columbia.
          (Just a joke, B.C. is in Canada, but Finland is not in Norway. There is Sweden and some water between us.)

Fiskis

Comment

Yes Fiskis:- I noticed that after sending my message. I did mean Finland but just blew it, sorry. Only 20 years? hell, my memory is good for 20 minutes, then I gotta check and look back, yes , like Finland NOT Norway, ha ha. See??? As for pick size, you can do it in the camera before taking pics. My camera has three stars for max, two for medium and one star for small pics. Also, some internet sites will down size pics that are 1 megabite before emailing them off. The pics would be fantastik, send to my email, I think you can do it from the forum here........Joe

Comment

Working...
            X