hummer / topper oil mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hummer / topper oil mix

any special brand oil recommended for the toppers or hummer gas mix ?

This topic was thoroughly discussed on the hummer web site a few years back. It seemed that no one agreed on what was best. We did learn however that any modern 2 cycle oil will work just fine.
    I personally prefer Quicksilver by Mercury Marine. I mix it about 40 to 1.

Comment

50 to 1?

Now I'm confused. The owners manual for a Topper says 25 to 1. It has a measuring cyclinder as part of the gas cap. I just got this scoot and have only run a single tank of gas through it so far. In the course of that tank, it started to bog down at mid throttle and lose power. I'm wondering if it is because the mix has too much oil in it. What do you think?

Comment

I doubt its your mixture. Shoot an E-mail to Mutt. pigstye13@aol.com Describe as accurate as possible how your topper is performing. He is an absolute genius on these little Harleys.

Comment

premix

I have found the Amsoil saber oil is the best I have found and is mixed at 100 to 1 so there is almost no smoke and no mess

Comment

100:1???? sounds really dry? are you sure? you get dryer as the motor breaks in. From say 25:1 to 35 or 40:1.

Comment

That sounds too dry for me too. Its a "smoker" but anything less than 40 to 1 sounds like trouble. I did figure out the bogging problem. Some parts came from an earlier Topper. They changes the air induction in '62 from a thru-seat inlet to entirely within the motor box. I restored the thru-seat version and now it runs strong. It was choking for air.

Comment

I've been experimenting with the mix and am now leaning (pardon the pun) towards a less oily mix. I cut it down to maybe 50 to 1 and it certainly is less smokey but also seems to run better. All the while, I'm wondering if I'm shortchanging the lube effect but it just seems to be better all around. Good news, I also just got a genuine '53 Sears Allstate Deluxe 811.40 Scooter! Don't beat me up, musclemen....I still have the '63 Duo Glide proving my masculinity if I have to! It even has genuine Buco "balls" on the axle and grips!

Comment

can you adjust the carb? is it worn? is the filter clean /oiled? has the exhaust pipe ever been cleaned out? soaked and flushed.

Looking for the small stuff now. may help?

I've had some serious hard core guys (full patch) admire my moped/quazi board tracker. I'm obviously a complete lunatic doing 40mph plus on the thing in a full tuck. Black w/ red rims, white walls and drop bars, number plates. A 12yr olds dream come true. Instant flash-backs to when you were a kid and dreamed of ripping up the neighborhood on such things. hee-hee... Everyone likes the weird odd ball small stuff. It's just different and therefore -great fun. Enjoy. You only live once.

Comment

Let me throw in a couple of things I know about 2 strokes, which ain't much. Bad crank seals can cause the bog you spoke of and they're pretty common on older two strokes. It leans the mixture. Also, too much oil will lean the mixture. I know this sounds the opposite of what you'd think. The more oil you have, the less gas you have. Thicker mixes don't burn as completely. The viscosity of the mixture also increases and less of it can pass through the carb to be atomized. Many of the old motocross racers tried increasing the oil in their mix when they seized a piston. The result was usually a piston that overheated and seized more quickly from the leaner mixture. Not enough oil will toast the bearings. Modern oils lubricate better and can give you a little room to play but be careful going too far either way.

Comment

Working...
                    X