Broken '62 frame needs repaired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken '62 frame needs repaired

I don’t know if the frame is original or not, but I’ve decided to see if I can get it repaired.

The frame is cracked at the upper weld of the left swingarm casting. The crack is in both the tube and weld. I’ve attached a picture of the crack.

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a frame repaired?

Richard
    Attached Files

Looks like it's been repaired before.
    I'd cut a "door" from the frame tube, put a slug (piece of solid rod)
    down into the casting, weld it up, put the door back on, and clean it up however you like (lead, brass, spackle).
    I'm not a great welder, but that job wouldn't scare me.
    I'd even ride the bike afterwards!!
    Any good welder should be able to do that without specific knowledge about bikes.
    Find a crabby old guy with a polka dot hat and a fat cigar.

Comment

I have repaired many of these successfully by cutting in a deep "v" and applying a fat weld with a Tig machine. As far as I know, none have failed.

Comment

Richard

I would also suggest as koanes did that you "v" the cracked area out clean and degrease if needed and have it tig welded.

The Tig weld will give you a deeper penitration and a much neater weld appearance.

I also have welded cracked frames in the past this way and none have ever failed.

A good welding shop will have the tig equiptment needed for this job.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I didn’t realize it’d be something I could fix without getting an expert in motorcycle frames involved. I figure I’ll go with the “v” and tig weld approach since it seems to be the simplest solution, though I can see how Charlie’s slug approach would work. Surely I can grind a nice “v” and clean it up a bit and have a welder weld it. If not, I’d better sell the bike and take up knitting.

One last question before I get started grinding. Do I need to do anything to make sure the frame stays in alignment?

Richard

Comment

What I have done in the past is to tack pieces of steel in different directions to hold the part till the weld has cooled and removed the pieces used to brace it.

In the case of yours I would brace it between the two down tubes horizontally and brace it on an angle at the top above the area to be repaired going down to the bottom of the frame.

Be sure that you leave enough room to weld the area

Comment

Working...
            X