"Real" Fender Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Real" Fender Tips

I'm trying to learn about Harley fender tips (late 40's vintage) with the eagle imprinted. I have heard that the "true originals" were stamped from brass. Other information sources tell me that the polished/chrome ones are original and OK for my '47. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    thanks
    Twobass

The eagle fender tips were first used in '42. They were part of the deluxe package that year and were subsequently offered as an accessory for any aplication. Not a lot of deluxe '42's exist. I have a three owner bike that has the tips on it. All the originals that I have seen including NOS are stamped brass that is chrome plated. They were never left plain brass, but occasionally the chrome has peeled off and they are left like that. The new aftermarket ones do not have nearly the detail of the originals. They used to be common but now are rare and seem to be really expensive so if you don't have any good luck. Part # is 3722-42.
    Robbie

Comment

I have one if you need a pic. Just email me direct for the photos. I can't see the brass because the chrome is not missing on it anywhere. Paps

Comment

yep original ones are brass, repos weigh about half the weight of an original and much less detail in wings

Comment

My info somewhere as I recall, the brass original tip was not plated till around 42 when the so called Deluxe Models came about. The -42 part number indicates chromed. The original part number was like dash early thirtys, brass. Can anyone correct me on this as I cant find where I'v read it...Joe

Comment

Sorry to be off subject here,and not trying to be a smarta$$ but..why in the world would you or anyone drill holes in a perfect knuck fender????

Comment

INLINE:- Did you mean drilling holes to mount a correct fender tip accessory of the time period (30's-40's) or to mount a lazar guided machine gun??? Please, not being sarcastic just a bit of a query here...Joe

Comment

i have to agree with joe, i would assume he has title to the bike (unless inline is holding that for him)and therefore even if he did want a laser guided machine gun mounted on the front,(not a bad idea actually)i dont think it should be of concern to anyone!

Comment

BOTH!

Comment

Oh come on guys...it's just a motorcycle........
                    What's a couple extra holes no matter if it's a Knucklehead or an Indian Four?

Comment

Louie.....to each his own,as for me no extra holes...just a thought....nothing more

Comment

Most Indian 4's have holes in the cases.
                        I'd rather have a knuckle with holes in the fenders!

Comment

Charlie, My 4S do not have holes in the cases and my knuckles surely dont have unnecessary holes in the fenders either! well I guess if you want tips they are necessary! Remember two cylinders and nice,but 4s are 2times better!

Comment

You want some grief?
                            Get a Chief.
                            You want some more?
                            Get a "4".

I'm just jealous because I'll never own one... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by charlie frey
                              You want some grief?
                              Get a Chief.
                              You want some more?
                              Get a "4".

I'm just jealous because I'll never own one... ;-)

Hello Charlie:- I'v made that quote before on this forum cuz I own an Ind four. Its not the bike tho, its all the phony and highly expensove four cylinder experts out there that want all your money to jack you around with thie feeble expertice and service they "so called" offer. When you send your four cylinder block out for an eight hour job just to fit and line bore main bearing. then wait five YEARS, $500.00 bucks in phone calls, only to have it done wrong when it comes back. Thats the GRIEF. Never send payment till the job is done. My mistake,---- trust?? All that quote we both put on this forum did for me on this is bring on a buyer who thought I'd give up and sell this 29 Indien nightmare for a dime. and a panhead horn pack,!!!!! its still waiting to be corrected as this four has everything pretty well ready to finalized five years ago...What a story huh? but the truth.......Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X