No Power and Sticky Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Power and Sticky Clutch

Just took my '35 45 out for about a 100 mile ride. In general it ran good however when I got to hills it really lacked in power. Basically just crawled up. I've checked for manifold leaks and such but found none. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Also no matter how I adjust the clutch it wants to grab and will not let me sit idle in gear with the clutch disengaged. Seems to get worse the longer I ride.

TIA
    Rich

Can't help you on the power loss but maybe your clutch gear is fitted to tightly in the bearings and is generating to much heat causing the clutch discs to warp. Paps

Comment

Good answer PAPS. I'll try simpler to cover the bases. Maybe clutch is not fully disengaging? Try readjusting.

Comment

Thanks. I will take the clutch back apart and see what I can find. Everything looked okay when I replaced the disc but who knows I may have missed something.

Comment

Concerning the clutch, my wife had the same problem with her 46 U at Sturgis. An old timer camping with us said that in the old days, the clutch plates would get wet with oil, either from the transmission seal or chain oiler,causing the clutch to grab, so the fix was to take apart the clutch and wash the plates with gas, dry them off and reinstall. We did that in the campground, had to use coleman fuel, put er back together, problem solved. Might be something to look at in your case. She also puts the bike on the rear stand when she parks it for any lenght of time to keep transmission oil from seeping out.
          hope this helps
          doug

Comment

I took the clutch apart this weekend to have a look. What I found was that the fiber disc seemed to be tight in the basket. I imagine after it got hotter it got worse. After a little modification to the disc and basket I was able to get the disc to move in and out with ease. On a short ride it seems to be working well. I also cleaned all the parts very well before reassembly.

Thanks for all the advise
            Rich

Comment

Working...
            X