Pin stripe specs for a 1922 JD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin stripe specs for a 1922 JD

Does anyone have a link or information as to the style, width etc. for the pin stripes for a 1922 JD with sidecar?

Striping for 22:- My research has found the bikes were striped with two stipes in 22. 1923 had three stripes. I have a Coach Green NOS three stripe side car fender and I think you just leave the centre stipe out. Dont know the total width tho, likely 1/2 inch wide total. On the 23 the outer two stripes are about 1/16th wide, the centre stipe a bit wider....Total width is 1/2 inch with all three stripes. Want a pic???

Comment

Yes, a picture would be great. For some reason I thought a 1922 had a gold stripe in the middle.

Comment

There is a good HD J/JD yahoo group at :-

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/harleyjd/

Regards,

Smarty

Comment

Originally posted by claytr
          Yes, a picture would be great. For some reason I thought a 1922 had a gold stripe in the middle.
          Tom: I see you joined the Yahoo group, thanks to Smarty. I put pics in there and a reply to you in the Yahoo JD site. If you can get your mitts on the book by Harley, "The Legend Begins" no longer available but its very clear that a 22 had two stripes looking at the brochures. The total width is half that of a 23 with a three stipe band on the next page.....

Comment

The H.D Accessories Catalogues tells you exactly the width of all striping.

Quote:

Striping Brushes For Enameling

No 2 Sword Striper. The proper brush to use for the thin hair line stripe in the centre of the broad stripe on the tank, mudguards, sidecar body, etc.

No 4 Sword Striper. This brush is used for the hair lines on the outside of the wide stripe. In other words, it is used for edging these stripes on the tank, mudguard, sidecar body, etc.

The Quill Striping Brush is for the 1/4 inch broad line striping on the toolbox and mudguards.

The Metal Tube Brush is for the 3/4 inch broad stripe on the tank, mudguards, sidecar body, etc.

Unquote.

Sword liners are still available at any decent artists supply outlet and their numbering is still the same.
            A properly loaded brush will give you a stripe of the required size
            I've just got back in N.Z. after 2 months in the United Kingdom and the ammount of things that have appeared on here in that time is quite amazing.
            Hope this helps calytr.
            Regards Tommo

Comment

Working...
            X