1912 Excelsior belting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1912 Excelsior belting

Hello , can anyone advise me as to the type of belt to use and how tight or loose they should be ? my '12 (model 4B , 30.50 inch single) uses a flat 1-3/4 inch wide belt but I've got through 3 of them in 1000 miles (breakages) . What do others use ??? thanks , Ken

I signed on today to ask the same question! I'm looking for some 2-ply leather belting for my 1916 Miami. I tried Atlanta belting and they discontinued ALL leather belts. All they have left is 90 feet of 1 inch. Where does people get their belting? I really don't want to use any kind of synthetic if I can get leather. I would even be interested in good used leather. Thanks for any help.
    Ken, I have a single ply belt on mine now and have never broke it, although it stretchs and I have to shorten it every so often. Where is it breaking at? At the linkage?

Louie

Comment

Hello Louie , I am waiting for a reply from belt supplyer of continuous chrome leather belt , is your single ply belt a leather one ? and why do you not like synthetic ? have you much experience with flat belt drive ? What type of linkage do you use ?
      The belt my Excelsior came with was a rubberised corded belt with an ''alligator'' joining link , this eventually pulled out of the belting and left me stranded , next I made massive mistake on a leather / kevlar sandwiched continuous belt and ended up having to cut it and make two joins , this lasted a few hundred miles but broke on the join I made (by heat melting the kevlar and also riveting) the one on there now is a synthetic but the alligator link is pulling apart . I am interested in what others use on their flat belt drives ? Also how tight or loose do they have to be .
      Thanks

Comment

I'm not an expert on belt drives, the Miami is the only one I have. But the belt on it now is single ply leather and I use the hammer in alligater link. It has never pulled apart though, the leather holds it well. I have nothing against synthetic, I have not tried any. I just prefer the look of leather if I can find what I need. I know a couple of the venders sell the belts for Harley's for a pretty penny, but I prefer to buy and fit it myself. My current belt was an old farm belt that was 5" X 25' when I got it and I cut it down to fit. It looks great but the single ply stretches way too much. When I fit it, I is as tight as I can get it and still slit around the front pulley.
        Hopefully we'll hear from some real experts....
        What is "chrome leather" ?

Louie

Comment

Chrome-tanned leather, invented in 1858, is tanned using chromium sulfate and other salts of chromium. It is more supple and pliable than vegetable-tanned leather, and does not discolor or lose shape as drastically in water as vegetable-tanned. Less prone to decay and offers more resistance against abrasion and stretch .

I agree the leather look is far better , I obtained the above from the internet but basically it is the best process for finishing leather for our use !! What thickness is the belt on your Miami ? Hope we get someone answering who knows his stuff (or hers)
          Thanks

Comment

If you guys can give me some specific info, I might be able to make what you need---Worsham Castle Cycle Leather

Comment

Ken, my belt is 1/4".

Paq, do you have two ply leather? I would be interested in an 8' X 1 1/4"piece. Thanks. I'm going to the Blue Ridge MC Campgroud tomorrow thru Sunday, are you anywhere close by?

Louie

Comment

Belting

Thanks Louie , and thanks Paquette for the offer but as I'm over the pond , I'll keep looking over here , I have a contact for a leather belt but am not sure yet if it's two ply or single thickness , I'll let you know when I find out , hope you have a good weekend , Ken
                My belt dimentions are 1-3/4 inch wide x 99 inches .

Comment

I'm not sure what you guys mean by "2 ply". Is that 2 pieces of leather glued or laminated together?

Comment

Yes, I'm not sure if it is glue or what but two ply keeps it from stretching so much.

Louie

Comment

That's interesting about the two ply Louie , do you know what glue is used ? and is the two ply still 1/4 inch ?? like the single thickness you have at the mo ? thanks , Ken

Comment

I would think that back in the day, a hide glue would have been used. I use contact cement ( several coats) and I could make a belt any thickness and length that way. Is there anything else that holds the ends together? (of course with 2 plys I could just make the ends overlap. I would be willing to experiment with this if it would help you guys out!!! Ken, I ship across the "Big Pond" all the time!!! You can always contact me --- jester@worshamcastle.com

Comment

belting

Hi Paquette , thanks for your help , I will keep your offer in mind with thanks but am going to some fairs in the next few weeks where I may get good second hand weathered ones from ?? I know with todays post etc it's just as easy to buy from anywhere but the bl---y customs want their share and what ''they'' think is right for them not us but if You'd like to give me some idea of price including delivery then I require a 2 ply 1-3/4 inch wide by 99 inches in a suitable leather (chrome leather) that will not streatch , if that is possible ?? by about 1/4 thick , it has to go round a pully that is about 5 inches in diameter . Cheers , Ken

Comment

Re: belting

Originally posted by Ken Lee
                            Hi Paquette , thanks for your help , I will keep your offer in mind with thanks but am going to some fairs in the next few weeks where I may get good second hand weathered ones from ?? I know with todays post etc it's just as easy to buy from anywhere but the bl---y customs want their share and what ''they'' think is right for them not us but if You'd like to give me some idea of price including delivery then I require a 2 ply 1-3/4 inch wide by 99 inches in a suitable leather (chrome leather) that will not streatch , if that is possible ?? by about 1/4 thick , it has to go round a pully that is about 5 inches in diameter . Cheers , Ken
                            PS that's for a continuous belt , Ken

Comment

ken--I am a fan of English rugby as I played here in the states back in the 70's, and often buy and sell items both ways and have never had any problems with tarriffs --"I am just returning a belt that did not fit", if you get my drift. But there has to be something that connects the ends together, I am sure that just glue will not hold up---Louie, can we get together and let me SEE what it is that I am trying to reproduce?----PAQ

Comment

Working...
                              X