shutoff valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shutoff valve

ok, stupid question, but i need the answer. the shutoff valve on my 64 flh doesn't work right, keeps leaking, no matter how much (or little) i tighten it -- no wonder, as it is repop. are these repro pieces supposed to fit, or are they always a little bit off? is there a difference in size b/t the oem and the repro piece? what's a better idea, keep trying to track down oem piece, or pick up a ballvalve/petcock and some rubber line?

most of your problem may come from over tightening ! the rod has to sit almost perfect in the seat take it apart and check fitment,I never cared for aftermarket stuff but you should be able to make it work! Good Luck

Comment

Surfdude!

First inspect your repop seat to be certain that it is metal, and not a soft insert.

Also inspect the "point" of the rod that closes upon the seat for blemishes or other clues as to cause of the problem. Inking the point with a marking pen and them turning it into the seat for contact will give you an indication of its sealing surface and concentricity. Properly it should be a very thin, sharp, line.

Then install the seat alone and eyeball through it at the hole in the top of the tank. Any mis-alignment of the holes will prevent proper seating.

(Re-alignment may be as easy as grabbing the hex of the seat in a vise and tweaking the tank. I use a rod that threads into the hole so it can be tapped around with a mallet. It is also drilled through its center to give an even more accurate visual gauge. This has proven more effective than the Factory tool, which cannot bend the metal past "true" so that it may spring back to "true".)

Good luck!

...Cotten

Comment

thanks inline and cotten. it is not metal in the seat, but it seems to be working better now. "he who knows all" came over last noght and tweaked the metal gas line, adjusted the carb and made it all work. just got back from a fun little spin on the pan. now if i could just gain some weight so i could kick it over more easily. i think the "h" in "flh" stands for "hard to start"...

Comment

Working...
        X