63 FLH,looking for any info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 FLH,looking for any info

I have a 63 that is completely in pieces,my Dad passed away recently,and was in the process of rebuilding it.I want to restore it to its original condition.Can anyone tell me where to find various books on doing what I need to do or other ways to get info I need.

It is completely apart,bare frame and all,engine hasn't run in years,which is another issue,he had several Harleys,but this was his first and he bought it when I was a kid,and basically told me it was mine one day...so now here I sit getting ready to start something I've never done,but need to do.

Any info would be helpful.Email me at okietrucker_01@yahoo.com,thanks,steve.

I would start by getting the Panhead and Shovelhead service books. These books will give you all the info you need on the engine, trans, and frame assemblies. A spare parts book is also an invaluable tool becuase it shows exploded views of every sub-assembly, right down to lock washers and cotter pins and gives you part #'s and descriptions of every single part. Antique Cycle Supply used to carry those books, I would give them a try. Greg Field's book on Panheads is a great source for pictures and history and will give you feel for where your bike fits in the history of Panheads.

It's nice that you want to keep your Dad's bike and finish what he started. That's the way it's suppose to work.

Comment

I would also recommend "How to Restore Your Harley Davidson" by Bruce Palmer. He offers many practical tips on resto procedures. If you get stumped along the way, ask here and I'm sure you will get the help you need. A Duo-Glide is a nice smooth machine and properly assembled will give you yrs. of trouble free service. Good Luck.

Comment

Look for your parts and service manuals on E-bay. You can usually get them at a fraction of the price for a new reprint. For sure get Palmers "How to restore your H-D". Have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the info,I hadn't seen my Dad in a few years,he lived in Fl and I left there years ago,but the last time I was there it was still together,it sat for close to 20 years whole,but not in running condition.He aslo had a few other Harley's,still not sure what will become of that stuff,those are all in running condition,ones a 65 version of the 63,but while I was in FL. for the funeral the one in pieces,which was a personal thing between me and my Dad was all his long time girlfriend would let me have access to,and right off the bat some things were missing.

The windshield was gone,the white saddle bags are gone(the metal pieces that mount them to the frame are there),and I see no exhaust pipes.It was a bad trip,she wouldn't even let me near his house,then she called me and told me to meet some guy at a Walmart,he was an old friend of my Dads,we put the pieces in my Pickup,then he said he knew someone who'd give me $1500 for it as is....jeez.

My job keeps me away for a month at a time,so in a couple of weeks when I get home,I'm gonna spread out the pieces in my garage and try to take inventory of what I have,My Dad was only 56 years old,besides the bike I have all sorts of issues going on,my aunt told me my Dads girlfriends son was riding his new Harley around,a very nice bike,it sickens me,my Dad didn't much care for her kids,they now all reside in his home,less than a month after his death..they are all in thier late 30's and come off like bums.

I guess thats alot more than you all needed to know,I do appreciate the help though,any and all I get from here on out,I'd like to have her back on the road by 7/5/07,which seems impossible,specially with my schedule,but for personal reasons,but to do it right I figure it will take longer.

Comment

I go along with the "How to restore your Harley Davidson" by Palmer. I used it to restore my 1946 Knuckle.
            Get as much of your fathers HD stuff as you can now! Don't wait.
            Sounds like it will be gone or trashed and you will be sorry later. I have seen it happen before.

Comment

Parts Book important!

I would reiterate the importance of the parts book (1958 to 1968, duo, Electra Glides) in discovering what parts you are missing. I think I got mine from Antique Supply and have used it over and over again. My '63 Duo is pretty much original but using the parts book, I've discovered that some things were not put back correctly or left off when it was partially disassembled for painting some years ago. Even with Palmer's, there are informational "holes" unique to your specific bike not covered anywhere. That is where the experienced members of AMCA and this forum comes in. While I'm not particularly experienced, I have taken sectional pictures of my bike and sent them via email to others wanting to see a particular area already assembled.

Comment

Working...
              X