FXE Starter stays engaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FXE Starter stays engaged

I have double-wired my FX starting system somewhere and I can't find the error. When I hit the starter button, the starter turns and the solenoid engages the bendix drive and the motor turns. But I can't disengage it. I have to disconnect the battery ground cable.

I remember this as a somewhat common mistake and I used to shake my head when guys wired their bikes and brought them in with this problem. Now I'm one of them !!- and I don't remember what the fix was !! Very embarrasing. Luckily, nobody was there to witness it.

I think that most likely its the starter realy or a missing ground. But the relay is fairly new, as is the solenoid. Also, The starter button works properly and does not hang up. I must have done it when I took the motor out this spring.

I'm lnow its a common mistake and most guys will probably know the fix off the top of their head.

Please advise.... and don't tell anybody !!

Bill
    This happened to me years ago. I replaced every electrical part on the entire starting system but nothing corrected the problem. I even replaced the soleniod and relay twice thinking that maybe my "new part" was bad.
    Anyway, the problem was the springs in the solenoid and the arm that engages(moves) the bendix. The shims and cups and pins must be installed in the correct order because this is what disengages the starter solenoid. It is also important that the thrust washer on the end of the starter shaft is correct. Also there were slight changes in the model years on the outer primarys so be sure all these pieces are correct. If you have a factory service manual there is an exelent exploded diagram you can go by.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I eventually found the problem.

One of the ears on the throw-out linkage that connects to the bendix drive was out of the bendix drive slot. This cocked the bendix dive on the clutch drum gear and prevented it from rerracting and thus, the solenoid from disengaging. Therefore, the starter stayed connected to the battery and the bendix stayed engaged on the starter ring gear. Very annoying.

I hope erveryone reading makes note - its a simple solution to a very embarrasing situation.

Bill Pedalino

Comment

Working...
      X