61" Panhead parts locating help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61" Panhead parts locating help!!!

need cylinders, or someone who can resleeve some EL cylinders.

no one makes a set as far as i can find

any help would be fantastic!

thanx!

Bill's Custom Cycles in Bloomsburg PA can resleeve some EL cylinders here is his number (570) 759-9613

Comment

61" cylinders

Chopperdave, have you considered just boring to 74"? I have built several versions of 68" motors over the years. They run Great!! 61" pistons have a different deck height so the easy way is to use high compression pistons for a 74 to compensate. When using about 10 to one they end up approximately the same as stock 61" ratio. You can also shorten the cylinders to make it work. With a nearly square engine (3 1/2 in stroke and 3 7/16 bore) they run smoothly and rev quickly. Just a thought, Robbie

Comment

I second Rub's motion.

One of my favorite godchildren is .155" overbore, but use of torqueplates for fitting is manditory.

...Cotten

Comment

about the 68" deal
          more details please
          the 61 cylinder is the same casting as the 74" isn't it?
          that is why it can take the overbore, yes?

gimme some more details that sounds neat...
          im not doin it, but a good friend of mine is building this motor.

like a big bore short stroke motor.. NEAT!!!

i still wanna build a short stroke evo motor....

Comment

What's a EVO?

Comment

I dunno, some weird motor thing that is loosely based on knuckles and whatnot...

But!

What would be involved in running 74" knuck cylinders with 61"heads with el flywheels???

Would that work?
              I'm helpin with another knuck project and I am exploring options
              And
              I am all for big bore short stroke motors

And now I wanna do both that pan and knuck like that...
              Ill never forget the first time I rode a hotrod 61" motor
              So different than a 74 hot rod motor, quick revs, neat!

And I'm twice as skrewed cos I want to build a panhead dragbike on fuel now...

Just for fun
              Coz except for the motor I could do it super cheap with mostly period stuff...

Comment

re: what's a evo ....

based on my '05 ultra it's short for evilution ..... more problems then with all my ol stuff combined !!

Comment

Dave:

1> No difference, as far as usability is concerned with the heads, 61" or 74". The cosmetic differences are immaterial, but you'll have better luck finding the more common large port head (that is if the word "common" has any meaning in today's knucklehead market). These were sized to handle the increased displacement of the 74" motor. In effect, with the big port heads off the motor, you would not be able to tell which motor it was originally on.
                  2> Be aware of the differences in the early vs. late knuckle flywheels. I have heard people say that the early small wheels revved quicker. To use them in a '41 up case would require modification to the scraper inside the crankcase.
                  3> You'd have good luck with the 74" cylinders with the 61" flywheels - none of the wrist pin location concerns of the strokers.
                  4> While many folks treat How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson by Bruce Palmer strictly as a restoration guide, which it certainly is, it is also a great reference tool for all the knuckle, side valve and pan motors.
                  Good luck,
                  Lonnie

Comment

Working...
                  X