Carb Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Problems

My son picked up a 77 iron head 1000 xlch. It had an S&S super E on it as he got it. Tuned and timed it all in but that darn carb kept sooting up the plugs and fouling out. She runs like a bear with fresh plugs but 40 to 50 miles quickly changes that. Put a rebuild kit into her with no change. Followed S&S instructions to a T, no change. Where is the fuel coming from that keeps fouling the plugs ??? Shut off the accelerator pump and still no change. What gives ?? Puzzled Paps

I had a similar problem with my 47 WL. My problem was a leaking head gasket.

Comment

I am curious of how a leaking head gasket could enrichen a mixture. I would have thought it would lean it out as a leaking manifold does? Paps

Comment

It was the front head gasket that was leaking. So I Could never get the carb set correctly for both cylanders. If I remeber correctly the rear plug did foul with fuel but my frount plug was fouling with carbon. My guess is because of incomplete combustion.

Comment

Are your jets within the range S&S recommends for a stock XL?
          Are you using the E air cleaner?
          VPH-D

Comment

Black fuel powder is equal on both spark plugs. Neither plug is wet.

The jets are S&S recommended #28 and # 66. We replaced the #28 with a new #28 and the #66 with a lower new #64 with no improved results. Yes....we are using the S&S E air cleaner with a new element. Paps

Comment

Go DOWN on the intermediate, not the main.

Comment

The intermediate jet is the more important of the two. What heat
                range plugs are you running?
                VPH-D

Comment

S&S manual says the intermeadiate is the smaller of the two suggested and listed for this carb from the S&S assembly and parts instructions we got off the S&S website. The other is a .0285" ?? Plugs are Accel 123's. Paps

Comment

Make sure your air filter is clean or you can foul your plugs ... Perry

Comment

Working...
                    X