Battery won't charge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery won't charge.

My '47 wl (with 32e generator) will not charge my battery.

I have gone through several batteries so that is off my list. I have replaced my original mechanical relay with a solid state. My third brush is almost fully advanced and my gen light turns off at idle.
    I do have my fender light wired as a running light but I don't think that would make a differance.

Anyone have any ideas.

If your light is going out that implies the generator is charging. Take a voltage measurement at the battery with the bike off and again with it running at various revs. The front fender light isn't adding enough load to cause your battery not to be charged. In my experience a properly working 32E puts out adequate amps with little or no advance on the third brush. Needing to advance the third brush a lot has been the result of bad brushes or an armature on the way out. Checking your brushes and commutator would seem a logical first place to look ... Perry

Comment

I hooked up my multimeter and I think I might have a dead short. With the lights off I pull over 6 amps and with the lights on over 10 amps, this seems high. The generator seems to be doing fine but can't overcome the high amps being pulled, it only gets down to 2amps at high rpms and never drops to the negative side. Does anyone now what the amps should be normally?

Any Ideas?

Comment

I no longer own a Harley big twin so can't say what they should draw. Perhaps someone can say what their bike pulls, with ignition on and ignition and lights on. A properly functioning 32E should handle 10 amps with lights on.

You mention high RPMs. Keep in mind that output of a three brush generator peaks and then starts to drop off. A ball park figure for where the peak is on a 32E is 45mph. If you're constantly running at 55 or 60mph your generator output is significantly lower than it would be at 40-45mph ... Perry

Comment

I got it working. It turns out that I had my 3rd brush fully retarded not advance when I advanced the brush my battery stated charging.

I guess I should always check the simple stuff first.

Comment

Working...
          X