Early Harley Motor Sighting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Harley Motor Sighting!

A friend called me last evening with news of an "early" Harley-Davidson engine belonging to a collector friend of his.

Actually 2 engines, both singles....

One has a 3xxxB serial number which would place it in the 1912 production year. The owner already thought that and I agree.

However, he claims the serial number on the other engine is really low, as in A1XX.

I don't think that 1905 or 1906 Harley engines were serial numbered (could be wrong about 1906). By my reackoning a three digit number (but without a letter) would place it in 1907, and the owner thought it was really early and thinking like 1906 or 1907.

Since this was second hand info with no photo, I asked him to go back to the owner and ask the following questions:

1) Does it actually say Harley-Davidson on the crankcase?

2) Does the horizontal cylinder finning extend all the way to the top (<1910) or are there top vertical fins (>1911)?

3) Does the letter "A" appear at the beginning of the number or is it possibly at the end? (Don't know what to make of that letter "A" at the beginning; at end would make it 1911 even with that low number).

4) Get a photo!

Have I forgotten anything? I'm hoping to hear more and better yet to see a photo of this engine. If it turns out to be a pre-1911 Harley motor that would make it an important find. If it turns out to be pre-1908 it would be outstanding!

Ya, you forgot to ask how much for both motors!

Louie

Comment

I knew that I forgot something!

Comment

Working...
      X