inner clutch hub will not come off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inner clutch hub will not come off?

Was haveing trouble last night and stopped work at this point.
    Any suggestions before I take evasive action.

The inner hub (heatreated) is keyed onto the main shaft. I believe it's tappered. No threaded holes to draw from. little space to get something in behind it. So I'm open to suggestions.

You're right, it's tapered and keyed. You should be able to smack it (carefully) on the edge and it should come off. You can always pull the lid and the kicker gear and just pull the mainshaft out with the clutch hub then remove it if you have to.

Comment

I was havin a total kiniption fit. An excellent time to stop working.

Your right. I ended up stripping the kicker side down. I have an endless prim chain. Thus I used a steering wheel puller on the front main sprocket and pulled the inner cover with main shaft as a unit. THen mount up shaft in vice to remove shaft from clutch hub. Simple as pie.

Well sort of after a little advice and ref the mil manu again.

Much thanks!

Comment

Admin Guy, What method do you use to remove that large nut on the mainshaft just inboard of the case? I have used the special wrench for this nut but it's still a stuggle. Do you have a better way? Thanks

Comment

I'm thinking your ref to the bearing cap nut right side w/ two hole for pins.

If that's the one. I use a drift. Because I don't have time right now to make the tool.

Comment

Thanks admin guy. I'll try that. It's just that you can't tell how tight you are getting the nut when using a drift but I don't know what else to do.

Comment

Wait a second. Are you refering to the nut that holds the clutch basket to the bearing on the inside of the inner primary?

If so - support the bearing and flatten the lock washer. Then I stick two plate bolts of the basket in copper jaw vice, don't bend. Then the 15" adjustable for the nut. Maybe grip the whole basket in a wooden work horse, workmate. That would probably be better.

This is just me. Check the military manual.

ahhhh... nut that holds the inner clutch basket can be removed by placing the main shaft in copper jaw vice. Think it's left hand. Check.

I'm putting modern lip seals on the 45 Scout. Cleverly hidden. Almost done. Should help.

Comment

Yes, I think it's called the clutch sprocket nut and it's very hard to get to when the trans is still in the bike. Your reply makes me wonder if I am missing something here as I don't see any way to remove or install the nut with the trans out of the bike. I pictured several of my buddies turning the bike on it's side to mount it in the vise but something tells me that's not going to work. Any way, I really do appreciate your help. I,m sure you have done this as this nut must be removed to get the clutch basket and primary chain off. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X