Drag frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag frame

I have a '63 Sportster motor that I built in the late 60's. It is 96 cubic inches. It is blueprinted (from real H-D set of prints), roller cammed, etc, etc and , as a kid with no expenses, I spent a whold lot of money back then and only ran the motor for a couple of hundred miles. It was (and is) a monster and, in my matured opinion, doesn't belong on the street.

However, it is a high quality motor with exceptional machine work and I don;t want i t to go to waste. It's in pieces now and I would like to assemble a 60's period-accurate drag bike.

Does anyone know of a period-accurate street/drag frame and/or front end suitable for this motor??

Bill Pedalino

Bill I was going thru some of the older Sportster posts and seen yours above.

Have you made any progress with this engine? Did you find any info on frames of the period?

I would think that a stock frame/swing arm combo with soild struts would be most accurate for the time. Probably any 'Drag' frames being produced were by guys in their garages for their own use.

I used to have tons of early biker mags which I would occassionally flip thru and read the early parts advertisments of the time. Sold them all off over the years.

Usually see some early mags laying around at the AMCA meets and various MC swap meets. Might get some free info for yourself by flipping thru a few of the early sixties ones. Hrdly

Comment

Bill -

Have you checked with Dale Walkster (WTTM)? He has several period drag racing bikes. Not that he's a source for a frame. But that he would have pictures to guide you.

Also, when I complete my LSR 45, the frame may be very close to what you are looking for in appearance. Friends are trying to convince me to build a LSR bike out of a '68 Sportster basket case that I have. I'm all for it. No one's producing money for the job. That one would definitely have the frame that you are looking for, as I plan to pattern my LSR bikes after the 60's and 70's drag bike frames that I'm familiar with.

Jack

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think that I will use a stock (modified) Sportster frame with struts. From the old magazines I've seen and from what I remember, this was most common, unless you were Bob Moriello or Leo Payne.

Thanks again for your input.

Bill Pedalino

Comment

frame

bill I might have one for you. it is a early frame that was cut behind the upper shock mounts. not sure why. I got it with a 68 ih with all these extra parts (some were not even H-D parts) but the guy cleaned out his garage and threw it all in. (with some junk) It is before vins were on them and I have it just sitting in a shed with no plans for it. sorry I did not check this earler but I was busy (or hibernating)
          Last edited by mmoore; 03-10-2008, 01:19 PM. Reason: saw post date

Comment

SPortster Drag Frame

I might be interested in your cut frame..... Are you going to the Rhinebeck Meet ?
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

frame

ill dig it out and see if I can identify it better Its pre vin is all I know (sportster) I doubt I will go to any meets but davenport as I have a lot to do this summer If you get thru iowa or close contact me my email is in the last club directory drop me a line

Comment

Working...
              X