M-88 float valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-88 float valve

I have a new needle and seat in an M-88 with the brass float (doesn't leak) set at 3/8". I found fuel leaking from the bowl vent, and looked at the rubber needle with a 10X lens to find that it wasn't cut correctly. It looks like a pencil that was held in the sharpener sideways. Cut high on one side and low on the other.
    Anybody know of a source of needle and seat kits of better quality?

Contact Tom Cotten at Liberty Motorcycle Specialties, in Lacon Illinios. He can fix you up.

Comment

I appreciate Kyle's plug , but...

Liberty is a service shop, and only retails hardware associated with our services, such as our machined Durable floats that float.

Neoprene/Viton tipped valves suffer in modern blended fuels, rendering them worthless. There are many fine mail-order retailers of vintage replacement hardware, just be certain to demand an all-metal valve.

Beware also that imported (India) metal floats are made from "English Brass' which
      is capable of corrodeing in digestive fuels as well (see attachment).
      ....Cotten
      Attached Files

Comment

Tom, I was just trying to sell a float for ya. You mean to say that if I ordered a float and asked you to sell me a valve with the float order, you would turn me down? The American School of Business is going to put you on the list!

Comment

Kyle!

Of course I do such courtesies often, but Liberty has no intentions to compete with our many friends in the crowded mail-order market!

Shipping and Receiving is already pulling double-duty as Accounting, and forced into overtime to assist the Service Department with each shift change. And all departments are impressed immediately into Maintenance for facility emergencies much too often.

A Retail department would require a Returns department; so far Management handles minor confusions with ease, but Management's capabilities have proven quite limited when pressed for decisions or problem solving, so we give him as little to do as possible.

....Cotten
          (On topic: Attached is a pic of the effect of P4gas overnight on a soft-tipped valve.)
          Attached Files

Comment

Needles Seats and Foats

Tom and Kyle,
            Thanks for all the advice concerning my challenges. I found that Warren at 45 Restoration sells all metal, made in USA (!) needle and seat sets. I'll try this setup with my brass float, and pressure test the carb & manifold to determine if I need PEEK manifold seals. I feel that even if I don't need them now, I probably will in the future.

Comment

Rex!

Please pressuretest the manifold, but not the carb itself, unless you disassemble it and test the castings on the bench.

....Cotten

Comment

Working...
              X