Little Ducatis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Ducatis

After years away from them I am loving those little '60s Ducati 4-stroke singles. I bought a modified 160 last year for the Moto Giro US in NY state. What a blast!

Now I am hooked on this event. Since then I have bought a couple of Ducati 250s (a Monza and a Scrambler), a Moto Guzzi 125 Sport and a Gilera 106 (sold in the US as a Sears). Now I'm putting together a team for an article in RoadBike magazine.

Anyone into small displacement (no larger than 250cc) older bikes (pre-1969) really should check this fun event. Info at the USCRA site. It's slow speed fun (with a bit of "spirited" riding here ad there on public roads in beautiful Vermont this year.

Moto Giro is a blast!

Hi Buzz,
    Just saw your post and thought I would chime in. I attended the Fall Moto Giro event in Dover Vermont this past September. It was my first event with this organization, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Had no idea how a road rally would go on a little 250 Ducati, but it turned out to be a hoot. The roads were awesome, and I was amazed at how many well groomed dirt roads we took over the coarse of two days riding. Can't beat the views, and the elevation changes, fortunately the weather was picture perfect. The format is fairly straight forward, and these events are basically won and lost in the parking lot during the timed agility tests. Basically a slow cone weave on the clock. The fellow riders were all very friendly, and the Saturday night banquet was quite a feast. There were lots of door prizes for everyone, and I saw lots of smiling faces all weekend! So, yes it's easy to get hooked on this type of event, I highly recommend it!
    George Wagman
    Member #13240

Comment

Originally posted by Moto Countryman View Post
      Hi Buzz,
      Just saw your post and thought I would chime in. I attended the Fall Moto Giro event in Dover Vermont this past September. It was my first event with this organization, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Had no idea how a road rally would go on a little 250 Ducati, but it turned out to be a hoot. The roads were awesome, and I was amazed at how many well groomed dirt roads we took over the coarse of two days riding. Can't beat the views, and the elevation changes, fortunately the weather was picture perfect. The format is fairly straight forward, and these events are basically won and lost in the parking lot during the timed agility tests. Basically a slow cone weave on the clock. The fellow riders were all very friendly, and the Saturday night banquet was quite a feast. There were lots of door prizes for everyone, and I saw lots of smiling faces all weekend! So, yes it's easy to get hooked on this type of event, I highly recommend it!
      George Wagman
      Member #13240
      Yep, a lot of fun and the event is growing in size every year. I was racing my little red cafe race 250 Monza.

Lots of fun. Not so much fun in the rain on the dirt roads though (see my photo from the year before). Hope to see you back in 2009.
      Buzz Kanter
      Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
      [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
      [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Hey Buzz, thats a fine lookin machine you have and I think its great youre out there riding it in the weather and the elements. Wish I lived a little closer to New York as that looks like a whole lotta fun!
        Scott Larson
        AMCA #13589
        Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
        1971 HD FLH
        1971 Triumph Bonneville 650
        1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Bogwon here , Buzz

Originally posted by Buzz Kanter View Post
          After years away from them I am loving those little '60s Ducati 4-stroke singles. I bought a modified 160 last year for the Moto Giro US in NY state. What a blast!

Now I am hooked on this event. Since then I have bought a couple of Ducati 250s (a Monza and a Scrambler), a Moto Guzzi 125 Sport and a Gilera 106 (sold in the US as a Sears). Now I'm putting together a team for an article in RoadBike magazine.

Anyone into small displacement (no larger than 250cc) older bikes (pre-1969) really should check this fun event. Info at the USCRA site. It's slow speed fun (with a bit of "spirited" riding here ad there on public roads in beautiful Vermont this year.
          Ya wanna buy another one of them little Ducatis ,Buzz? I have one here I can sell ya. It's a 60's model, probably a 125 or so. I can be reached at home in NY at 315 508 5316 or my cell at 315 219 9923. Remember that first Indian Day rally at Sturgis? Ya gave me the long distance rider T-shirt and I got in your Indian Mag too. Those were the days.
          Bogwon
          The Bogwon

Comment

This is great, I just found 3 running Ducatis; 2 scramblers and 1 Monza at a farm near where I hunt. They also had 2 comlete rolling frames and a Ducati Bronco that needs a lot of work. I pick them up in the spring and cannot wait to make a few cafe racers.

Ducati Find.jpg

Comment

Me and my older brother with his brand new Ducati Bronco 125 in 1963
              Attached Files

Comment

I like it!

Originally posted by rousseau View Post
                Me and my older brother with his brand new Ducati Bronco 125 in 1963
                Nice! I am excited...always been a Harley guy, but these things have me anxious to try something new...

Comment

My buddy Pete raced with one of those. He said "You may be out raced, but never out classed." Meaning if you weren't fast riding the Ducati, it wasn't the bikes fault.

Comment

Working...
                  X