18" Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18" Rims

I acquired two used 18" rims for my '47 FL. One is pitted all-around on the outside surface on one side.

My question is; Is it prudent to fill these pits with body filler prior to painting, ir will the rim flex during use to the extent that the bondo will fail.

Is brazing a better fix ? - if so, the rim miight have more brass weight than steel...What about warpage from the heat?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bill Pedalino

rim fix

i would sandblast clean an either use marine tex or 3m panel bond - http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...eme_us_aad_3_0 http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...eme_us_aad_3_0 copy and paste ,if you need more info email me on this

Comment

marine tex

http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20P...rod%20info.htm

Comment

I'm just curious. Did H-D offer 18" rims for the big twin in '47 ? If so, how late did Harley offer 18" rims for the big twins. I have heard Indian offered 18" rims until 1953 for the Chief.

Comment

will those products hold up to the 300 degree heat of powder oven? or would he be better off with the metal epoxy stuff?

Comment

I thought the heat range was 400. Paps

Comment

The parts books show 18" rims in use thru 1963. I would venture a guess that they weren't real common.
              VPH-D

Comment

3-400 temp range. OK!!!!

It's great that Stark repoped the 18 for IND. Has anyone picked up a set? I'm considering picking up a front for my 640.

Comment

I know nothing about these wheels,but there is one on ebay. Look at #4640504424

Comment

I prefer the 4:00x18. They handle better than the fat 16 donuts. Also easier to mount and get off the rim IMHO.

Comment

My 46' Chief I just finished have 18" rims. I sure like the look and the way they feel so far. I bought them from Ziggysmotorworks.com They were rusty but straight. Hand sanding some grinding, sandblast , then powdercoat.

Comment

Yoy could use two layers of powder coat. Have them coated w/ a contrasting color like grey and sand the rim leaving the powercaot to fill the pits. Then have them coated with the black powder.

Comment

I forgot to mention I did have them powder coated twice and sanded between coats. Good point Erdos. Came out about a 9 on a 1-10 scale.

Comment

Hey Knuck how about a picture of your '46, I'd like to see what my '47 would look like with the 18" wheels. Thanks.

Louie

Comment

I will do it this weekend if I can. I have had trouble sending photos. I may send to the Admin guy to process for me. I just finished the Chief last week.
                              What a relief after 3 years of many weekends and evenings.

Comment

Working...
                              X