Powder Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Coating

I was wondering if it is correct and proper to powder coat wheel rims, brake drums, chain guards, rear stands, etc. Many of the painted rims that I've seen appear to be of the same finish offered by glossy powder coating and the finished powder coated product offers a very hard, well-wearing surface.

Anyone have any input on the 'correctness' and acceptability of powder coating?

Bill Pedalino

powder coating

Bill
    powder coating is allowed as long as you do not use the REAL GLOSSY finish. when done it must look like the original paint finish that the bikes came with.
    Kevin

Comment

Powdwe Coating

Thanks for the reply.

I have recently seen a bike with its blackwork (frame, hubs, chain guard, handlebars, rims, etc) powder coated in what was described as an 80% gloss finish.

From what I could see, the finish seemed very close to the harley baked enamal - not that high gloss, plastic finish normally associated with powder coating.

I am considering this for my '47 and '53 FL's. As this is a major decision (and invesment), I was wondering if anyone else has seen or used this finish and what your opinion might be as to how accurate it appears.

I also understand that this issue offends some of you purists out there and I would love to hear why. Judges opinions are especially welcome!!

Thanks,
      Bill Pedalino

Comment

powder coating

Bill
        the 80% finish is close enough to original paint to pass.
        the problem some people have is with the "plastic" look of high gloss powder coat. it just does not look like the original factory look. and as the rules state, the finish MUST look like a factory finish. go ahead and have your parts done with the 80% finish.
        see you at a meet soon
        Kevin

Comment

Powdwe Coating

Thanks for your input Kevin - I think I'll give it a try !!

Bill

Comment

Working...
          X