20's transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20's transmission

can someone please tell me when the oil fill for a J or JD went from the back to the front of the tranny
    thank you Dave

I presume you mean the change that happened when the loop frame was replaced by what we call the "shoe" frame.
    Last loop frame year was 1924. First shoe frame was 1925. at this point the filler went from the back to the front.
    If your question relates to the loop frame gearboxes and the detachable oil filler casting that some of them had it is an entirely different matter.
    Hope this answers your question.
    Tommo

Comment

Tommo,

I may be reading your reply incorrectly, but my '25 HD Model J, has the filler at the back of the gearbox, and is a teardrop tank framed bike, (shoe frame ?) or was this change to front filler caps actually for the 1926 season and the earlier geraboxes were phased out during 1925, amongst the 42 or so progressive modifications made to the 1925 bikes.

photo http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/gro...view/3cd0?b=36

Regards,

Smarty

Comment

Smarty "YOUR'E RIGHT" This is what happens when I don't proof read my reply. My fault entirely.
        1925 was the end of the early style gearbox that is probably most easily identified by the external clutch operating shaft on the top of the gearbox. The later boxes had the clutch rod going through the center of the mainshaft.
        Do we want to go into mainshaft lengths here?

Tommo

Comment

thank you , thats exactly what i needed to know
          thats what makes this site so great
          thank you again, Dave

Comment

Tommo, don't sound so surprised...I know I'm not usually right....but it does happen sometimes !!!

I don't suppose with your knowledge of 20's HD's you can let me know some of the other 42 differences on the '25 twins ?

BTW rummaged in your shed lately ??

Best Regards,

Smarty

Comment

Working...
            X