cylinders on 47 chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinders on 47 chief

I'm sure someone has an answer for this one.
    I keep seeing an oil drip on my chainguard. I got a flashlight and found a small exit hole coming from the rear cylinder. Oil is working its way out of this hole and working its way down the cooling fins and onto the chain guard. Why is this hole there?
    Secondly, my bike smokes alot for a few minutes after starting. Could oil be working its way up into the exhaust valve and burning itself off there? I'm befuddled.

Hi mate.
    I have had my Chief for 18 years, and don't know of an oil hole in the barrel.
    Re smoking at start up, how long does it sit between starts?
    It may be wet sumping.
    Have you drained the cases if sitting for any period? Give it a try and see how much oil comes out.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Comment

I have ridden the bike quite frequently lately, now that the carb is set correctly (I think). I took a flashlight and found a small hole in the rear barrel, at the back side of it, that seeps oil onto the cooling fins. The bike also seems to miss at higher speeds. Almost to the point that I feel that if I stop, it would stall. (but it doesn't)
      I guess I don't know how else to put it. I would appreciate any help.

Comment

There should be no hole in your cylinder. I can't imagine why your's has one. Are you sure the oil is not being thrown onto the cylinder by the generator belt?

Comment

Normally when I see oil on the chain guard, it's a big problem in the combustion chamber.
          -Check for wet sumping. Sounds like you've got a bit of that.
          -Make sure head bolts are torqued and gaskets are OK.
          -Adjust the valves ... this can have a big effect.
          -Make sure there are no air leaks on the intake manifold.

The hole in the exhaust port of the cylinder is normal for some engines, especially if they've been raced. I've seen the holes used for springs before (to hold the header in).

Comment

Could the hole in question be from a "pin" that was used to hold a resleeved cyclinder in place? The pin may have worked it's way out. Just a guess folks.

But usually these pins are low. Below height of rings.

Yup - that's my 2 cents.

Clean it up and a JB weld fix maybe for starters. If it gets blown out you'll have to get more serious.

Comment

The oil is definately not from the Generator belt. It is working its way out of a pin sized, maybe larger, hole three fins down from the top (between two fins) and is coming down the fin and dripping onto the guard. The mention of a pin working its way out may be correct, I really don't know. I think I will take a scoot over to my local mechanic and have him give me his opinion... I will keep you posted. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Working...
              X