love those chiefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• love those chiefs

I just want to say how much I love my 1940 Indian Chief. I'm a hard-core Harley guy but this Chief now rates as one of the 5 best bikes I've ever owned. I always wondered why people liked them so much because I always had a ton of trouble with them. I discovered that the problem was with me and not the bike. As I have matured and learned a few things, I have realized that you can't take shortcuts when you restore a motorcycle. This isn't to say that you should have someone else do the work. I truely believe that the owner should bore down into the very soul of their bike because they will learn things about their motorcycle and themselves that will serve them for life. . . . . . However, let someone else do the top end.

I have been riding the Chief in lieu of my truck because it's so good on gas and I love the way it sounds. Where I live, nobody takes any notice of what it is, and I'm too old to care what young women think, so I'm not profiling. I actually enjoy the ride and I love the way it handles with 18" rims. Best of all is way it looks. Dang ! What a great looking motorcycle !

In the morning, my wife and I are going out for coffee before work. I'm going to take the Chief.

Exeric,

I really enjoy reading exerpts like yours. It's great to hear guys enjoying their old motorcycles. Glad to hear you ride and don't hide! I have to admit I'm a little biased to the bike your talking about.........

Comment

exeric,
      Glad to hear your havin fun! I was a hardcore HD nut for many years then got the bug a very good friend of mine,I got him hooked on antique MCs, Let me use a 46 Chief for a summer..I have never looked back! An now ride my Indians far more than the HDs I have left ! Keep enjoying ohhh ya if you want profile a little its FUN!

Comment

Love my Chief, Hate my Exhaust Valve.
        Snapped the head off the front exhaust valve on the Easter Indian Run at Malany Queensland OZ last week. Engine rebuild comming up!
        And now for the auto censor:

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.

Comment

Baytown,heres hoping the repairs are small and done fast!! Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks Inline.
            I think we are looking at splitting the cases due to scoring of the cylinder, and need to reballence the flywheels once the repairs to the cylinder damage are done. Will now in a week or two.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Comment

Have you determined why possibly your valve broke?
              Specific info re this would be helpful.

Comment

Working...
              X