1972 servi-car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 servi-car

I purchased a 1972 servi-car with the title and the post tag vin matching. Problem is the engine has a vin of 67ge19** on it. Did AMF Harley use these engine's in 1972 ??? This would be 1967 engine not 1972 right. The trike has 5480 on it according to the old inspection stickers from 1973 to date plus the speedometer matches.

No...........engine has been changed at some time in the past and the owner did not legitimize the change legally. My thoughts on it....Paps

Comment

Paps this means the trike should have a salvage title then not a clear one???

Comment

Hi All:
        This is a bit off topic, but I was curious to know if Harley still sold the towbars to go with the later servicars fitted with Hydraglide forks. The reason I ask, is that I have a '50 panhead with a Goulding sidecar that's too wide to fit in my Wells Cargo trailer. I thought I might tow it with one of these and an offset drawbar.
        Pete Gagan

Comment

Paps is correct. A 1972 GE will have a 1972 VIN on the frame and on the right rear of the motor cases. The 67 engine is stamped on the left side in the way all early engines were stamped.
          If this unit is legal, [don't see how] Servi-Cars are a scream to ride.
          VPH-D

Comment

As VPH-D states, a '72 will have a VIN on the frame that will match the title. If it does you may be legal, depending on the state you're in. Some states don't get too concerned about engine numbers on late model vehicles. For example, you don't re-title your car if you change engines in it, even though the engine has the VIN on it. You'll need to check with your DMV to be sure, laws vary.
            Pete, in Bruce Palmer's book on Harley restoration there's a picture of the '58 Servi Car with a glide front end and a tow bar. They're out there.

Comment

I want to thank all of you for the information. I have backed out of the deal and hope for the deposit to be returned. The owner seemed as shocked as I was so I think he will reimberse the funds.

Comment

Here's some info I found that may help........

1970 - 1980:

Numbers on both frame and engine from the factory are matched exactly. The legal VIN number is on the frame. This is a little confusing and is where many people get into trouble. Contrary to what many people think, on any Harley Davidson® made from 1970 up (1979 has an exception) the title does not go with the engine. You could feasibly have mismatched numbers on the engine (you can swap engines in your bike just like your car) as long as the engine numbers have not been altered, or reported stolen, then it would be perfectly legal (although it may devalue the bike). But, the number on the title must match the frame. Example: you have a 1975 Shovelhead engine w/matching title in a custom frame with no numbers and an educated cop checks the numbers, you're walking home. It will be confiscated on the spot. Another thing relating to this, I have heard of some states ( Fl., Ca., Mi., etc. ) referred to as "frame states". As if to mean there are "engine states", or maybe "anything goes states". No such thing. If you live in the U.S., your 1970 or later title better match your frame.

Comment

Don't know where you live KDR, but come on down (I assume your UP north) to good ol Jawja. Just about anything goes down here, I've never heard of any checking of anything if the paperwork is in order. I know FL and OH are tough states from experience. I've seen many W and G models with mixed engines.

Louie

Comment

Louie, I edited much of what this guy wrote to make it more palatable to read. In it, he also stated the obvious: "I know, I know, your ole' buddy Billy Bob has been runnin' a bike like that for years and he ain't never had no problems.......... Well guess what? I've known drug dealers, bike thieves, and prostitutes who have never been busted........sure doesn't mean what they were doin' was legal............"

The fact is, things are changing; the police are getting smarter and now aren't as afraid to walk up on a bike to check paperwork. I import bikes into the States, when I can, I ship them in pieces and reassemble them once they get there. Not that I'm doing anything illegal, on the contrary, I almost lost a bike in L.A. because the Customs official was a total _____ (insert colorful word here)! He must have had short person syndrome....5'4" maybe at the most. He had me about as upset as I've been in a while. He wouldn't release the bike because "he" said that "it may have been manufactured in another country like Japan"....we're talking a 1942 WLA here folks. He also said that the documentation I had, which was my proof of ownership, wasn't written in English, so I had to go back to Holland and have them translate it for him. This is when I blew a fuse and demanded to see his boss. Reluctantly, he called his boss and told "her" what a problem I was and that I demanded "her" presence. About 5 minutes later this really, really big black lady shows up.....my first thought was, "I'm never going to get my bike now" She took one look at the paperwork I had, looked at my identification, then asked if it was my motorcycle? I said "yes". She turned to the guy with short person syndrome and said, "Give him his bike". Turned to me and said "have a nice day" and walked off. The short guy ordered another agent to finish my paperwork.
                    As the guy above said, just because you're getting away with it, doesn't mean it's legal. When you're standing on the side of the road and no way to get your investment back, don't say you weren't informed. I'm just passing info, that's all.

I was born and raised in Pa., spent most of my life in Az and now own my business in Holland. Been to Jawja about a dozen times or so........do they have schools there, never saw one......lol.....just ribbing you. It's a beautiful State, just too darn humid. Az is a dry heat, like a blowtorch.

Kurt

Comment

HERE in the Northeast theworst state to get caught with nonmatching numbers is Mass if you dont have a million papers for the state forget it end of story they can and will impound the MC and YOU and your lawyer can sort it out later! As for Maine never had a problem as long as you have a registration and inspection sticker from your state!
                      I like KDR have imported alot of MCs back to the US and US Customs are the worst but I did find the easest way to please them become a liscenced U.S. Importer it will save you a bunch of headache (Iknow that really is off topic !) Another way around the nonmatching number thing is going with the paperwork to the DMV and get what most states call a bluetag them if your stopped noproblem ! I think Cal was the 1st state to start this its a pain in the you know where BUT on the road any wheres in the US it ends all trouble,unless you ask for it, Hope this helps you!have a good day!!!

Comment

Born and raised in Pennsyltuckey myself KDR. Rules are getting really touch there now, I inderstand. That customs twerp was boasting his authority unjustifiably. That good woman stepped up and set things straight for you. I was unfamiliar with the later model servi registration numbers on the frame until you brought it to my attention. Thanks for the imfo. Paps

Comment

No doubt the W models are the worse for motor changes because of all the spare parts. I've also seen a lot of G motors in two wheelers. Just because the motor # is different doesn't mean a lot to me, or that any mischief was afoot. Just old timers keeping them running. I don't think a lot of thief's were stealing 45's and changing motors to sell them to make money....maybe Knuckleheads or Chiefs but never 45's.

Louie

Comment

Louie, we're talking 1970 and up H-D motorcycles in this thread. Anything prior, like the W and pre-1970 Servi-car had the title attached to the engine VIN number......there were no frame ID numbers for the purpose of registration. Engine swaps were the norm, I agree, and I myself have looked at a couple Solo models with "G" motors. Each title had the correct "G" model VIN number even though it doesn't belong in a Solo frame. However, it is legal according to the letter of the law.

Ya Pa, I really don't know what set that guy off, maybe cause it was a Monday..... Even his subordinate was looking at me like.....I'm sorry, my boss is just a real ______(add another colorful word here). It seemed to me after the fact, that he was trying to impress the other guy for whatever reason, but when the boss just said to give me my bike, he disappeared real quick.

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                            X