New Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Batteries

Some of you may or may not know, but we're one of the producers that originally had the 6-volt battery with the red top manufactured through GS (it now has a black top).

Now we're working on a new battery that will have the same top and design as the original HM5 for restoration purposes and it'll be available in 6 & 12 volts.

My questions to the forum is: Would you like to have the battery made as original with liquid acid, or would you like to see them upgraded and made as a gell cell? What are the pro's and con's?

Personally, my vote leans towards the gell cells. I'm tired of stained aluminum, rusted battery boxes, ruined chrome and drips on my concrete from liquid acid.

Kurt
    45" Parts Depot

Kurt,

My vote is for the Gel Cell. I am also tired of corroded connections and acid etching my paint. I have avoided the current gel cells because they dont have the correct battery connections.

Jim

Comment

gell battery

im looking for a 12v battery for my 65 pan head with the correct terminals , you guys make this application

Comment

I'm for gel cell. Do you make a 6 volt model for my '59 FLH? I need to get one of those soon.

Jack

Comment

I too have to voice my preference for the gel cell. I'm glad to see someone taking this on. Kudos Kurt.

Comment

agree - gel cell

Kurt,

I agree - gel is the way to go, or AGM may be another option.

Thanks again for your great products and for providing these options for everybody!

BarryW

Comment

A true gel or a sealed?
              Proper generator adjustment and battery care are good things to learn.
              Great web site. The menu on the left takes too long to scroll down (painful). Just show me the full list and I'll scroll on my browser window.

Comment

Thanks for everyones input.

The meeting with the battery manufacturer has been rescheduled to a future date. I will bring up the issue about AGM instead of Gel. What I've read about the AGM seems to be the way to go. Price will be the only limiting factor. Thanks for the tip Barry!!!

The batteries I have now are replacements for the HM5 which should fit 1929 to 1963--45 models and 1936--61", 1937 to 1964--61", 74" & 80" Twins. I don't have them in a 12-volt, sorry.

I know AdminGuy, I hear about the problems with the site all the time. In a few months a completely new site will be available for the Depot with all the latest features and over 10,000 new pictures of our inventory. The site will have everything that's needed to make navigation easier. A search option is the most important addition. You will now have to register, so you won't have to keep putting in your information every time you order. Registration will allow you to view previous orders. There's also a section for AMCA members to put in their membership number. Whenever a member makes a purchase, I will donate 5% of the product sale to the European Chapter. Another option is to receive e-mails with specials we'll have and you'll be the first to view new products when they arrive. After the Depot is on-line and running, I will be re-opening KnuckleHeadQuarters, Legend Forks and our latest company 4U Motorcycles, which will cater to the BT side valve models.

Lots more to come.

Kurt

Comment

great

oh, GREAT Kurt! go ahead and have a BTSV company, just when I thought I had a chance of building up some reserve you hint that more BTSV stuff will be available. Dammit. ;^}

Seriously, I can't tell you how great it is to hear. Best wishes for prosperity, and thanks again from the enthusiasts. Hopefully I can get this troublehead off our plate so I can move back to the genny bikes and get some work done.

Comment

Ok Im old and Id like to see this battery site!!! Whats the addy please.

Comment

This is Mike With Cyclemos Motorcycle Museum in Tennessee. My buddy Johnny Sells is here and we have been talking about battery options and the need for a gel cell replacement battery that is set up with the proper terminals and locations. We can not believe that there has not been a gel cell manufactured yet that will replace the acid type batterys that are such a pain in the ass! Sign me up! I can not wait to spend a small fortune on the new product. Whoever does it will make bank! I would have continued my efforts in developing the new battery . . .but it sounds like it is closer than I expected. GREAT JOB!! What a wonderful service to the industry this battery would be!!!!!YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
                      Cyclemo

Comment

Kurt........in relation to electric start, what are the cranking amp options on these new batteries ? Thanks, Paps

Comment

a gel would be great (by the way whats electric start????)

Comment

That's the doo dad that replaces what some of us use to remember was called a kick start. Hope you don't have the misfortune of learning exactly what the means someday because you only have two choices if you do, use that doo dad or don't ride. Paps

Comment

doo dad

ever see a pan with both ? imagine that, it's still a antique

Comment

Working...
                              X