generator check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generator check

Thanks to everybody for the support with the wiring diagram.
    This is just a great community!

I spend the whole day checking the wiring on that bike and I could not find any failure. Thats the good news.
    The bad new is that I do not have charge amps.

Here is what I checked and maybe somebody can give me feedback if this is correct.

I disconnected the generator from the regulator and started the engine with battery only.

I measured the voltage between the generator poles and there was none (0)
    (I also did the polarisation procedure on the gen before)

I draw the conclusion that the generator must be defect -right?

Is there anything else I should check ?

I again appreciated any feedback on this problem.

regards

Oliver

I'm not sure how far you may have disassembled your generator, but if you removed the field coils, then mistakingly reconnected the the leads of one coil in reverse, the output of the generator will be zero. Each field coil creates a magnetic field through the hole in the coil in one direction. The field coils must be wired so the magnetic fields flow in the same direction. If the wiring of one coil is reversed, the magnetic fields will oppose each other, resulting in no magnetic field through which the armature windings cut, hence, no current flowing through the armature windings.
    I've seen this more than once when troubleshooting generators that have been completely disassembled then reassembled.

Comment

Hy,

thanks for your superfast reply.

I did not take the gen apart. It is brand new (45 restauration) and
      I just installed it.
      Can you confirm that between the A and F armature should be measured 12V when all wires to regulator are disconnected ?

Oliver

Comment

My area is early 6 volt generators, but try posting above under "electrical" and Perry Ruiter will get back with you. There's none better than him.

Comment

Did you polarize the generator as per instructions in your manual?
          It should be done!

Louie

Comment

yes I polarized it.
            The instruction says:
            momentarily touch a wire betwen B+ and DF terminal after all wires have been properly connected.
            Thats what I did several times....
            It just won't charge.

Comment

First, as Louie said make sure you've polarized the generator (briefly touch a wire from the battery positive terminal to the generator A terminal). You don't measure output between the A and the F terminals. A is generator output but F is used by the regulator to control how "grounded" the field coils are. As you had it, with the F terminal connected to nothing, the field coils are not energized and you'll get no output. To test for output, disconnect all wires and then jumper F to ground and measure between A and ground (ground == battery negative terminal). Configured like this, the more you rev the higher it should go ... Perry

Comment

Perry,
                thank you very much for your reply.
                After a rest (thats what you sometimes need to do when you are stuck with a mysterious problem )I started again:

1)
                I ordered a brandnew (Bosch) regulator.

2)
                I measured the gen output referring to your advise:
                F to ground; measure voltage between A and ground
                I measure 12V @ low ideling and 42V @ higher rpm
                Leads me to the conclusion, the Gen is allright.

3)
                I installed the new regulator:
                batterie + to B+Terminal at regulator
                F-terminal to DF regulator terminal
                A-Terminal and wire to charge controll light to D+terminal.

I have seen cows flying but the ?>"*%$# charge controll light does not come off!

What could 4) be ????

(5 for sure is advertising the bike at walnecks)

Appreciated feedback (no offers for the bike yet, please)

Regards

Oliver

Comment

Yes I agree the generator seems to be working well. So the focus should be on the regulator. I can honestly say I know nothing about Bosch regulators. Too new for me. I've never even held one in my hand. A google search for a 66 Sportster wiring diagram turned up this:
                  http://www.smokeriders.com/diagrams/...portster_H.gif
                  Indeed it looks like A goes to D+, F to DF and B+ to the battery. I also have a book of "Tech Tips" and it has several chopper wiring diagrams that also concur with that wiring. Both also mention a ground terminal on the regulator (may be marked D-). Make sure you have a wire from there to ground. I can see the regulator not working if not properly grounded.
                  I agree the idiot light wire would also go to D+, but for now disconnect it. Do things now work? (measure across the battery posts as you rev it) ... Perry

Comment

jepeeeeeee......

the grounding helped a lot

Although I measured ground between the regulator - terminal to the bracket and the gen, an additional grounding wire seems to be mandatory

I am back on the road and removed the "for sale" tag.

Thanks for the tip, I learned a lot and finally the trouble shooting of this problem brought me to this great forum.
                    Thanks a lot to everybody who gave his feedback in this matter!

Comment

Working...
                    X