How to change direction on a Du-5 Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change direction on a Du-5 Generator

Hello, I bought a DU-5 generator for my 28 Scout. On the generator case it has a clockwise arrow. I have heard you can change this to counter-clockwise. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mark

First, try motoring the generator with a battery. It may have been changed over the years and no longer match the arrow stamped on the body. I see Steve Blancard's website no longer exisits. It had a good article on how to do the conversion. Basically there are two ways to convert the DU-5. The "classic" approach has been to replace the third brush holder with one of an opposite rotation and switch the field coil leads (so the one that went to the third brush now goes to either the positive or negative brush (depending on rotation) and the one from the positive or negative brush now goes to the third brush). Lastly, shift the commutator head slightly so the thru screws now go into their neighbouring holes. The new "trick setup" is to discard the third brush and holder (throw it in my direction) and convert the generator to a two brush by installing one of Gene Harper's Splitdorf regulators:
    http://www.splitdorfreg.com/

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Will follow your suggestions. Thanks again. Mark

Comment

Working...
      X