oil tank decals/battery tray spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil tank decals/battery tray spacers

I am slwoly getting my 59 panhead back together (thanks for all the help guys) and I have 2 questions for the experts, as I can't tell for sure in my parts books or in Palmer what is correct:

1) On a 59, do I use 2 spacers or 4 spacers on the battery tray, and is the tray parkerized or pained black?

2) When applying the patent decal and FLH decal on the oil tank, what is th best way to cover them once applied to new paint? What product will protect them without eating them up?

Thanks again foe all the help...I'm getting closer; of course it is snowing here in Mass right now and I am bu&%$@it. Oh well, it's New England...wait an hour and the weather will change.

Best,
    Joel

just for fun I'll try to help joel out.

2, painted, 2 coats clear on a very dry decal.

Comment

is that clear that the painter has to do? I already have the tank back from the painter and in my garage, and I was hoping there was something I could apply and I'm no painter! By the way, the two spacers on the back or front?

Thanks for the help!

Joel

Comment

I just finished painting my tray, it had 4 spacers, 1 under each bolt hole. This is on a 64 but i think it's the same.

Comment

well..does anyone else have an opinion about the number of spacers. I've heard it both ways. 2 and 4, so I'm trying to figure out what is actually correct. Thanks
          Joel

Comment

I'd believe gerry - not me. Go with four.

I was just guessin to get some response from other, more knowledgeable members.

Comment

Spacers

Yep ! gerry is rite. It takes 4 , 1 @ each bolt. Doc

Comment

spacers

Dou-Glides use four tank spacers.
                VPH-D

Comment

thanks guys-four it is! I just parkerized 4 that I had that were CAD so that should work? Now, about the clear over the decals-is there a home product I can use, or do I have to bring the oil tanbk back to the painter?

Thanks again
                  Joel

Comment

decals

Do you think paste wax would work to protect the decals? I have a 57 FLH that will be getting the three decals applied in a couple of weeks. I'm worried the painter will melt my decals with clear coat. I'm hoping someone has a home brew fix for this.
                    VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                    X