Pope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope

Any of you gentleman have info on a 1913 Pope Big 4. Overhead valve single. Just became the proud 3rd owner. Very complete bike wearing a 1965 restoration. Must replate and paint, as well as confirm originality of fastners, brackets etc....
    Any input appreciated as always
    johnny

Wow Johnny!!!!!! Good Score!!! The Pope was a top of the line bike for it's day. I believe that big single is in the 600cc range with a top speed of 50 mph. I'm thinking that your fork should have a leaf spring and you should also have chain drive and rear suspension as well. That's about all I know but I'm sure there's an expert among us...........

How about posting a pic for us early bike gawkers???

Comment

Thanks CO, it is a very interesting bike. It does have leaf sprung front end, but is belt driven with no rear suspension. Just starting my Pope education but think the rear suspension came around 1917 or '18. Believe the OHV singles (Model K) were produced in '12, '13 & '14. Have not posted pictures and limited computer skills, be glad to e-mail someone a picture to post on the forum if desired. Best Regards johnny

Comment

Hi Johnnie:
        There are two sizes of Pope singles in that era. If it has overhead valves, (both intake and exhaust) it is the big one. The others are of the "F-head" variety, (intake over exhaust), and belt drive is by V belt rather than flat on the small ones. The rear suspension came out in 1913.
        Mike Smith in Oregon has had considerable Pope experience, and one of our board members, Scott Hall, is deeply into Popes at present. Both can be found in the roster, and Scott's contact info is in the magazine.
        Good luck with it, and its a nice acquisition, regardless of model
        Pete Gagan

Comment

Thanks Pete, hope all is well up your way.
          It is the overhead valve "BIG 4", has no rear suspension, has flat belt. I am fortunate to have alot of notes and correspondence from the 2nd owner who "restored" it in 1965. Several letters to and from Mr. Biddle of the AMCA. One issue that has been present in all correspondence is the question of year. Its titled as a '12, based on tire size and saddle style Bruce seems to think its a '13. Will contact Scott.
          Best Regards
          johnny

Comment

BIG question for me about the line of OHV Pope engines is:

Who designed that motor?

Anyway, good score. A 1918 vintage V-twin Pope was discovered in an old hardware store in Superior, Wis. years ago. Original pristine condition. Guys in central Wis. had it for a time, but then it changed hands and I don't know where it is now, but you guys might.

Very impressive machines with an OHV engine and sprung frame ahead of their time to be sure.

Comment

Working...
            X