Help to ID photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to ID photo

I need help from fellow club members to ID attached photo.
    This is an original photograph. I think it is a 1909/1910 Indian motorcycle and rider on an unknown track. I acquired the photo some years ago in Wisconsin. It is quite large, 11" x 14". I could only fit part of it in the scan. I'm wondering can anybody ID the rider?

The photgraph is very similar to the ads used in newspapers during this period. I will submit a scan of the ad too.

Thanks

Dick

Indian racer

Oops! Let's try that again.
    Attached Files

Comment

Help to ID Racer

Here is an ad from the July 14, 1910 Watertown, Wi. newspaper.
      The image is quite similar to the photograph with obvious differences such as the rider in the photo has a helmet and googles. But the placement of the hands and foot is very similar. Even the dust coming off the back wheel is similar. On the photograph there are buildings in the background too. I'm pretty sure it is a county fairground horse track but where. And who is the rider?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dick
      Attached Files

Comment

Its very hard to tell because of the angle of the photo, but it looks like a single cylinder Indian, probably a '12. You can see the steering head decal which is solid, rather than the cut out 1910 or '11 steering head badge which was metal. You can see the carburetor which is quite forward, and no front cylinder, which leads me to my single theory. The tires are 28x2.5 or 2.25 rather than 28x3 which would have been the choice of most riders on dirt tracks from 1913 onwards. Thats my guess for what its worth.
        Pete Gagan

Comment

Help to ID Photo

Thanks Peter. I was hoping somebody would be able to help. Now if we can only ID the rider.

Comment

Working...
          X