Indian Scout - 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Scout - 101

I am interested in researching Indian Scout motorcycles... can anyone give any advice on a preferred book, website ...etc, ...as a place to start. ?

I have subscribed to the AMCA magazine.

Are there any events/rallies that would be good places to see several bikes ?..both for-sale and not for sale...

Thanks in advance,
    Tom
    www.project356.com

One Word: (well actually a few!)
    Jerry Hatfield
    Indian Scout Colour History

Do a google search as every major book seller has it. It's a great book, and if you crave a 101, try George Yaroki (good luck, as he never replied to any of my e-mails, and snubbed my International phone call, but he continues to advertise in the magazine)

Best wishes.

Ken.

Comment

The 101 Association would probably suit your purpose if that's the direction your heading.......... You picked a cool bike to research!!!!!!!

Comment

Beautiful Porshe by the way, you must be very proud.

Ken.

Comment

Baytown - thanks very much, it was a several year project... pay as you go type of thing for me.

I appreciate the tip on the book(s)... very cool.

Tom

Comment

Do you plan on riding the 101. Under what sort of conditions would you ride a bike. Consider the displacement of a stock 101. Then look at the 45 modifications that have been done to a few.

A 101 is an icon. Dig deep.

Comment

Hi,

I think there is some confusion here... when I posted "101"... I meant as in "entry level information"... kind of like a beginning college course .... INF-101 (introduction to computers..etc).

From the sounds of it... there is actually a model 101 of the Indian motorcycle ?.... my apologies for the confusion..

I saw the picture of the Indian Scout Adminguy posted in another thread - it looks GREAT!.

I am interested in a "driver".... probably mostly just weekend rides in nice weather (summer time in Michigan)... I'm not a stickler on authenticity, would not have to be a #s matching bike...just a good looking fun bike to ride would be my requirements.

I have a '66 BMW R60/2 that is in good shape, I hope to take the bike a few hours north this summer on a long ride to Michigan's upper peninsula...but a trip like that would be a rare one for me.

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

Ahhh- HA! Now that is halarious. Thankfully we have that cleared up. It's very easy to forget sometimes what is not common knowledge. Sorry about that.

Thanks for compliment re my 45 Indian "Sport Scout" (750cc) bobber- "The Mountian Ride Her". I like em orig paint, rusty, greasy and oily. Takes some getting used to - but they grow on you with great affection. The entombed machines don't turn my crank anymore. I like to see them on the road. Running wild, free, and happy.....

Some earily machines (stock) can not handle susstained highway speeds. 50mph would have been considered blistering fast.

You could probably pick up a running 741 Indian (500cc) for a half deceint price. Are you sure you want an indian? Maybe just pick a good decade like say. 1934-39. Look at all the motorcycle marques produced in that era. The Italian, French, British, lots of really incredible machines to consider. An earily knucklehead is a stunning looking machine. OHV and 4speed. A 45 HD is good value for money. Or maybe a 1000cc Vincent. Money is always a factor. Honestly - get what you really want. Life is short. Were all just janitors. The Vegas auction is a good place to buy. Woods at Daytona also.

Give us a price range/era and we'll all come up with some options for you.

George Yarocki is a good guy. Maybe he was busy at the time?

Comment

G'day Paul.
                  It was me who had difficulties in dealing with George Y. Gave up in the end and he lost a few sales. No negative insinuation on any persons character intended.
                  Agree, who would have thought 101 didn't refere to the bike!!!
                  Tom, ignore all other marques (especially Pommy stuff as everyone owns it), and go with a pre 53 Indian. I'd kill for a 101 Scout, but my wife has other ideas!

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.

Comment

I too was taken unaware. Well Tom it's great to see new interest. Try checking out Walneck's Classic Cycle trader or www.georgesantiquemotorcycletrader.com for a start. You could also check the Virtual Indian web-site I think I saw a few bikes for sale there fairly recently. Keep an eye on e-bay as well. If you want a real thrill check out yard/estate sales and local auctions, you just never know!! If your swaying toward an Indian, I think that Paul steered you in the right direction with a 741 if economics and casual weekend riding is what your looking for. A google search should find you the 101 association if you would like to have a look at them. The 101 is considered by some diehards to be the best Indian ever built. If you haven't noticed I'm a little biased toward the Injun. If you do have any questions about old bikes you picked the right place to ask. There is a lot of knowledge in this club no matter what marque you pick.

Ken, I'd jump right at a 101 right this minute, but it might get me sentenced to sleeping in the shed!!!!!!!! Ha!Ha!

Comment

Working...
                    X