Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Shift Gate/Tranny for 41 WLA

Hey all,
    I have a 41 WLA with what I thought was the proper shift gate. 1st is labeled at the top, then Neutral, 2nd, with 3rd closest to the rider/seat.

My problem is the tranny in reversed, that is I start out in first with the shifter in the 3rd gate (all the way back to the rider/seat), and third all the way forward.

Which is wrong, the shifter gate lableling or do I have a post 47 tranny on my 41 ?

Daniel
    Attached Files

You just need to switch the shift drum inside the trans. Remove the top cover and swap the drum with a 46' and earlier one. They are available NOS from most 45 vendors.

Comment

Bill nailed it dead on. You will need to re check your left and right end plays on the gears again too. Also....make sure the new drum doesn't have more than .005"-.006" side play on the shifter drum shaft. Place your shifter shaft lever gear on the correct timing mark on the new shifter drum also. Paps

Comment

Thanks. So is there any harm in running it this way ?

Is this common to put them together this way ?

Comment

no no harm, they just changed the pattern in 47' the problem lies that the 47' -up shift gate will not fit your Gas Tank. I'd change the drum and be done with it. If you remove the battery box you can do it in the bike.

Comment

Working...
          X