Flh Vin Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flh Vin Numbers

I am looking at a 1964 FLH and the # 4 is a closed type 4 just like the 4 you see here. Palmer's book says that a 4 should be open top after 1944. Can you guys with 64's check your numbers and tell me what you have? I don't know if Palmer is mistaken or if both types could have been used or if this is an altered #. Please help me on this.

Hello Jerry: Dont know if you have a had a reply on your question, Mar 9th re: the "4" in your seiel no. I have a pic of a 60 FL ser. No where the "4" almost closes up at the top but there is a definate gap at the top of the letter. Also tho, my understanding is that the FLH didnt come out till 55. I am doing a 54 FL. I am changing it to a foot shift, Brochures list it as an FLF. Yet, I have seen a lot of FL model in footshift config but no FLF stamped on the cases. My question would be, should'nt it have been stamped FLF whenever its a footshift model??? From 52 to 54 they designated footshift model as FLF in brochures and paperwork but did they also stamp the casings? Can anyone help???

Comment

Short version, the F for footshift is "silent". There is really no way to tell if a machine was born with foot or hand shift. The letter was not stamped into the serial number.
      VPH-D

Comment

Thanks partshunt. Why do you want to change to that new fangled foot shift set up. I'd stick with the hand shift at least until they get all the bugs worked out of that new set up.

Comment

my '47 WL has the 4 almost closed on the top, but there is a gap. my '64 FLH has the 4 closed, just like this 4

Comment

Thanks surfdude

Comment

Originally posted by gerry
              Thanks partshunt. Why do you want to change to that new fangled foot shift set up. I'd stick with the hand shift at least until they get all the bugs worked out of that new set up.
              Hey gerry: Been away from the site so late reply. I only want just a stock footshift, mine is a 54FL. Have three other running hand shifts, need a break, ha ha, By the way, what do you mean new fangled not so good foot shifts? Wasnt the original workeable? They seemed okay in the days when had a few stock FL, FLH etc. Of course, not as nice as the 03 Twin Cam but hey, Restoring is all about original, including original flaws or drawbacks which make the older ones more challenging sometimes to ride. Like my early Harleys with no front brake and holding it on a steep grade, then the fun comes when you apply that clutch lever and just the right throttle, let off the brake and your off. Quite cumbersome and yet no front brake till 28, ha ha. Daredevil riders then with them clincher tires that come off instantly when go flat.

Comment

Working...
              X