New Yahoo group for JDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yahoo group for JDs

I created a group called HarleyJD on Yahoo to try to create a new exchange of info about these great bikes.

You can find it under HarleyJD in the Yahoo Groups pages.

Sharing info, posting pix, etc.

My first goal is to try to create a cylnder spotters guide. anyone that can help with pix and info will be greatly appreciated.

We have 2 members, and are looking to spread the word!

Dan

Why not just do it here? The benefit of membership and not having your email address sold off for spam.

Comment

I can see your point of view AdminGuy, but you have to admit the bias of the forum and the threads is for Knuckleheads, Panheads and Shovelheads, except for the rare exceptions. I agree its a shame a member feels they have to start a group outside of this AMCA forum, but there are potentially more prospective members out there on yahoo than there are here.

Best Regards,

Martin

Comment

I can very confidently state that 70-80 percent of the guys that own JDs and or JD parts, projects ARE members of this club.

I'm wondering if Dan is looking for barrels or to have barrels recast?
        Oh well, whatever.

Comment

Sorry Admin Guy, but 70-80% of the posts of this forum are not JD based, if they were then I wouldn't have joined Dan's group.

I have posted 3-4 threads relating to 20's Harleys, model J in my case and haven't received one reply to the thread, lots of reads granted, but little interaction. And people say its the English who are reserved and shy.............

Comment

Its always good to have more than one scource and most anything could be done here but I also belong to a few differant forums if for nothing else its nice to be in differant places and thats what makes our Country so great,freedom!

Comment

I have to agree with Paul. This is a site for owners of all makes of antique motorcycles. Maybe folks just did not have any answers to your post. I have to look at a ton of discussion groups already to see if there are any questions about seats or saddlebags or other accessories since I have been doing the research for so long. Maybe the problem is that we have a lot of members that don't do the computer thing. I know several of my customers that are AMCA judges, have never been online. That being said, I will try to keep track of yet another website---

Comment

Are we just talking JD's here?
                I find most people get confused about what exactly a JD really is.
                1200cc, 74 cu in, 3 speed, electric 1920-1929 Harley.
                Other than the cylinders and some other subtle differences there's very little difference between a J and a JD but if it's just a forum for JD's so be it.
                By the way the easiest way to tell the difference is to count the cylinder fins. 7 fins 1200cc JD, 5 fins 1000cc J.

Comment

Woops! Should have proof read that first
                  JD's 1921-1929

Comment

Agree with you 100% Inline4nut, the antique motorcycling world is bigger than the AMCA and there is life outside of the AMCA.......

Although the AMCA produces a good magazine, has a large membership and has some good initiatives running, its only a part of the many sources or organisations that you need to belong to in this day and age to get the full picture, i.e. VMCC, The Classic Motorcycle & Classic Bike Magazines, Hemmings etc etc.

Variety is also the spice of life............

Comment

forums

hi dan,good luck with your forum.i believe a large majority of the antique motorcycling world is looking for an online outlet for their hobby ,other than georges,ebay or this site.there are a few other decent sites,but most are lacking any interaction.hopefully your membership will grow by getting the word out there.

Comment

Thanks to every one for commenting.

Although I cannot explain it, the AMCA site does not seem to get the kind of interaction I've seen on at least two other site: The Hydra-Glide.net and the Flathead power are two sites that seem to get many, many questions and replies comparably.

Maybe I don't know how to use this site effectively, but on the new Yahoo Group, we now have 8 members, and maybe more importantly, 80 pix have been posted of different bikes, closeups, etc.

I'll admit the technical discussion hasn't grown too deep yet, but we are getting better.

One other reason I did the group was that there is sooo much info on flattys, knucks, pans- the Palmer book, Perrys book etc, that I almost had an "easy" time of it restoring mine, but now that I got the JD I just could not find the same level of resources. I am trying to meet guys in the club, go to Oley, Hebron, White Rose, but it still is difficult to learn what I'd like in 6 days a year.

I'm not trying to gain materially from the site, but if it helps the members with missing parts, leads, etc., that's good for everyone. There are links posted on the goup site that I never found Googling and searching.

I still return to the AMCA site, and am a huge fan of the AMCA, and couldn't go a season without the meets, so there's no bias there.

Thanks to all for their comments, and if you can join and participate on the goup, it will be appreciated.

Dan

Comment

JD Site??

Hello Dan: could you post your site here in the Forum or is it better to email it to me? I have a few J, JD and an F model to contribute now and then if they can be helpfull...

Comment

Partshunt,

The address is http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/harleyjd/

Regards,

Martin.

PS the group has a reciprocal link to the AMCA Forum in return

Comment

JD Meaning

Tommo
                              Here in the US, the term JD is used somewhat genericly in refering to 1915-1929 Harley IOE Models. Technicaly incorrect, but still the way it is.
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X