Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZE1 Bosh Magneto for HD 30CM...?? (..help from Argentina..)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZE1 Bosh Magneto for HD 30CM...?? (..help from Argentina..)

Could someone tell me the application for a Bosch magneto type ZE1? Is it correct for a Harley 1930 CM (500cc, magneto model)...?? Which will be the correct magneto for this single..?? Thanks in advance and best regards from sunny Argentina, Daniel.

whats your vin start with I looked in a reprint of a hd service book covers 30 to 49 and find no listing for a mag but the hd spare parts book lists it on the inside cover however does not have then listed later or show any parts for them . delco made a lot of the electrics but I cant say all tho if you look at the forum for harley flatheads go to the model b dist and you can see pics of my timer (distributer) I would start with bosch and contact them and see if that model is from the same time as the bike I do know that the single motors that hd sold to the worthington mower co back then were equiped with mags but which one I dont know your bike like mine probaly had many owners and mods like mine (34c) i would like to see a pic of your bike if you could send one mmoore56@netins.net (put hd model c in the subject line) thanks if i find any more info ill be in touch

Comment

Somewhere once before on here I posted how to identify Bosch magnetos. ZE1
      Z= closed magnet type (D= open magnet type)
      E= 45mm armature height (A= 35mm armature height)
      1= single cylinder (2= Twin cylinder, 4= Four cylinder)

The mags fitted to 1926 and later H.D. singles had a spindle height of 35mm and to get the correct gear mesh they had an adaptor plate, Part #1804-26, that was 27mm thick to get the spindle height up to the required 62mm height. Even with all the correct parts I usually find you need to spend some time either reducing the thickness of the adaptor plate or shimming it up to get the required tooth mesh.
      The correct Bosch mag is a type FF1 that is thinner through the magnet width and lower in overall height than a ZA1 which would be the nearest alternative.
      From memory you run into carb clearance problems if you use a ZA1.
      I'm saying ZA1 here because you will have to make a special adaptor plate if you use a ZE1 and because you will only have 17mm of space to work with you will have trouble fitting in the necessary mounting bolts and still have any structural integrity.
      The mounting plates are extremely hard to find here in NZ and no I can't help with one. That goes for the mag also.
      There was a special supplement that went in the back of the parts book that covered the mag models of this era and I have an original that can be copyed for you if you wish.
      Thats a lot of typing for an old fella but I hope it helps.
      Tommo

Comment

Thanks for your helps..!! Meantime I bought a Bosch ZE1 from England. Just arrived. I will check the measures in order to see if it can be adapted. It would be great to have the adaptor you mention Tommo. Any picture...?? What about the FF1...?? Never heard of this Bosch Model.
        Have here too a Bosch ZE1 Catalogue. Is this Tommo the one you mention...?? If not...maybe you can scan the interesting pages and send them to me by mail.... I know it takes time....but here down in Argentina ...in a small town in the mountains...everything is soooo dificult...Thanks in advance.
        Best regards...from south Argentina..!!

Comment

if you email those pages on the mags please send them to me also I read the whole parts book I have looking for any mag parts never saw any thanks

Comment

Could both of you please e-mail me your postal address's at
            p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz and I will send you a copy of the relevant parts book supplement that covers H.D. magneto models.
            As far as I'm aware the FF1 Bosch may have been a special order mag for H.D. and I will include photos of it and the adaptor plate with the supplement.
            I'll also photograph it beside a ZE1 so you can get a better idea of the physical differences.
            Please don't ask me to post photos onto this forum as any attempts by this old chap in the past has always ended in tears.
            I'm just too old to learn some of these new tricks.
            Regards Tommo

Comment

HEY OLD FELLA! Just send me the photos...... I'll post.

Comment

1930cm

Hi AMC member in Argentinie
                Happen to see your questions concerning 1930CM and correct magneto
                I happen to own also a 1930CM, which came actually from Argentinie.

I can send you pictures of mag but is a FF1 model as erlier explained by other people.
                I myself are in need of pictures how bike should look like, especially toolbox , horn and light set up (or none) , which much differ from a C model

Await your feedback

Leo

Comment

Working...
                X