foot clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foot clutch

Does any one in shovelhead land know when HD stopped useing a foot clutch hand shift ? I have an '83 FLHP and cannot find any info on adjustments . I have a mid 70's shop manuel but I don't know if adjustments are the same. HELP!!

I was under the impression that the last foot clutch set ups ended with the phase in of the "cow pie" ratchet lid. The earlier trans cases would accept either foot or hand shift lids, but that ended with the "cow pie."
    VPH-D

Comment

I never saw or heard of any foot clutches on any either. are you sure its original? if you can find the dealer that delivered it they might have some info. could have been put together for somebody with a hand or wrist problem that still wanted to ride.

Comment

foot clutch

The bike was originally a philly highway patrol bike and did come with a foot clutch hand shift.

Comment

My guess would be that it may have come with a sidecar for the PHD if you can find out what dealer services or sells to the PHD they should be able to help.

But then again I would think any dealer should have some info. on how to adjust the linkage.

Comment

maybe the cops did not want thier hand to get too tired to write ticketts!! try contacting the cops maintaince dept they might have some of the repair books for that bike H-D usally supplied them with the police contracts if no luck they should know who the delivering dealer was

Comment

foot clutch

I have contacted Philly Highway.
              They have manuels for every group of years but 82,83.The Delivering dealer from that era is no longer in buisness. I'll keep looking

Comment

I contacted the factory (H-D) once about a H-D snowmobile they made in the early 70's they were very helpful as to info on repair and parts as they no longer carried parts. I did not have any luck with the H-D dealers tho is why I called the factory

Comment

An interesting sidenote for you guys - the foot clutch bracket, etc. and the later "clamp-on-the-frame" hand shifter will fit on later bikes, though obviously not as a factory option. I installed a complete set-up on a '96 FLSTN and ran it for about two years - just converted the gear detent plate to a straight slot. Worked great and a wonderful conversation piece - you should have seen the double-takes, expecially with all the other original FLSTN components!!

Lonnie

Comment

Yes the hand shift does get it share of looks.

The best coment yet was "wow it's an automatic there's no clutch lever."

I've also been asked if my '49 Servi-car is a Honda 3 wheeer.

Neshaminy valley chapter has a swap meet this sunday maybe I can find an old manuel there.

Comment

I would think you'll need to use the later 80s manual for clutch adjustment, and any shovel/pan manual for the pedal setup.
                      I, too have heard the "automatic" comment before! Hilarious!
                      VPH-D

Comment

automatic huh? now I wont stop laughing all day

Comment

I'm glad someone else thought it was funny .I tried to keep a straight face and not fall over laughing as I explained that it was a special factory prototype for people who are not coordinated enough to ride a bike that requires shifting

Maybe someone should re -stamp
                          P.R.N.D.L on a shift gate that would really be a conversation starter.

I tell my kids that it makes a good anti-theft devise because most people can't ride a foot clutch or don't even know what it is.

Comment

I can't tell you the exact year that they were last used, but I can tell you that I saw one on a police bike when I was going to college in Toronto in 79-80. Also I have a factory 1978 Owner's Manual that tells a little about the hand shift and how to adjust the foot clutch. There's nothing in my 781/2 - 82 Service Manual either.

Comment

Thanks
                              I'm going to adjust as if it were a 70's bike.
                              Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X